▸ thirty-one

In life, art becomes the intricate thread that weaves together the complexities of family drama. It's the canvas where emotions are boldly expressed, where the tensions and joys of familial bonds are portrayed with raw honesty. Each stroke of creativity becomes a reflection of the intricate dynamics, the tangled web of relationships, and the colorful spectrum of emotions that define the human experience within the context of family.❞

▂

Elijah shrugs on the white button up sleeve shirt, slowly buttoning each button from the bottom to the top. Jared, the one his mother hired to assist him during the preparation for events–such as the one he's currently getting ready for, helps him put on the vest that pairs perfectly with the slacks he has on. Before buttoning the vest, Elijah tucks his shirt in his slacks, making sure that it looks neat before putting the vest.

Jared steps back, allowing Elijah room to fix the outfit himself. The man looks over the personalized custom branded vest and pants that his mother requested for him to wear. It had velvet trims and the matte black color really made him look just as his mother envisioned for him. Clean, no tattoos visible, and micromanaged.

"You look handsome, Mister James." Jared compliments him, looking at him through the mirrors.

Elijah slowly lifts his head and raises his eyebrow. As the male slowly turns around to face Jared, he carefully buttons the sleeve around his wrist. The taller blond male shakes his head as he finishes the right sleeve before moving to the left sleeve. He sighs softly, pushing his hands in the pockets of the nice sleek fitted slacks he had on.

"Jared, we talked about this." He tilts his head, approaching the older, shorter man. "I hate formalities. Just call me Elijah."

Jared looks mortified as his eyes widen and he quickly shakes his head. "But, your more strictly instructed–"

"My mother doesn't control me," Elijah cuts him off, watching the scared man avoid his eyes. It was probably something else his mother had instilled in the workers head that works for her. "And when you're in my presence, she doesn't control you either."

Elijah turns around and looks at himself in the mirror again, giving himself a quick nod before turning around to step off of the pedestal they had him stand on. Literally.

He stands beside Jared, patting his shoulder. "Also, thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it."

As the both of them leave the closet area, Elijah spray his expensive cologne lightly, before sighing through his nose. "What has my mother been up to?"

Jared avoids his eyes, Elijah could tell he was hiding something. Not just anything minor. Like his mother being corrupt, or spreading false information about him to the rest of the James family. This must be major. He looks nervous, too nervous to speak.