▸ twenty-six

Art is a mirror reflecting the complexities of life, capturing its tumultuous waves and serene shores alike. In the strokes of a painter's brush or the words of a poet's verse, we find echoes of our own struggles and triumphs. Just as life is rife with trials and tribulations, so too is art often born from the crucible of adversity. Yet, within the very fabric of art lies a profound lesson about resilience and redemption. For just as an artist may paint over mistakes or a sculptor may mold anew from a flawed creation, so too can we, in the canvas of our own lives, find the courage to move beyond past missteps.❞

▬

Aurelia looks at her phone screen, which she got fixed yesterday with Adrian, she was going through the pictures her best friends sent her. Sabrina sent her pictures of her time she spent at a beach, and Cameron sent the group chat pictures of him at the club partying. They haven't changed even though it feels like it has been forever since they've been together.

"Aurelia, baby, are you listening?" Her mother's voice speaks through the speaker of the phone, causing her to finally close the group chat and actually engage in the conversation with her mother. She sits her phone on top of the dresser before resuming her search on finding something to wear.

"Yes, ma'am." Aurelia says, looking through her drawer. "But I already told you, I wouldn't know until I get to that point."

"Relia, I told you that you need to be more organized. You need to know how much it'll cost to be in student housing for the next year." Her mother lectures, but she didn't understand that they were hardly approaching the middle of the term.

"Yes, momma." She sighs softly, pulling out a long black denim skirt. "I'll call you later, I'm busy right now."

"Alright, Aurelia. Make sure you study well, I love you."

"I love you too, momma." Aurelia says, ending the call just as Nina walks in.

Nina sighs and shakes her head. "Your momma must have forgotten you're an adult, not an adolescent."

Aurelia shakes her head and pulls out a black cropped tank top from her other drawer. "She's just worried. My momma spent most of her time working, so when I got accepted to this school, she started realizing that she hadn't really been around me that much. You know, she feels like lost time with me."

"I see." Nina walks her way, opening her drawer, looking through her clothes before grabbing her blue denim skirt, one that's similar to the black one, and replacing the top she pulled out with an off the shoulder lace top. "What about your dad?"

Aurelia watches her friend, Nina, go through her things, picking any outfit out for her. She sits down on the bed and sighs before shaking her head. "He was a teacher, so I spent more time with him than my mom."

"My dad was a professor, until word got out about the affair he was having with a student." Nina says, grabbing her ankle high leather shoes and walking the outfit to her. "My dad divorced him, I have two dads, and here I am ten years later, a beautiful, tall, and talented artist."