twenty six

"How does this thing work!" Adrien tugged at the painting on the wall, frantically trying to open the lift.

"Adrien dude, I love you and all but there's no need for you to help us." Carapace patted his back and smiled at him, "We'll help Marinette, we promise."

Adrien stared at them in disbelief. How could they not know? Then he remembered how he'd revealed his identity in front of Ladybug and Hawkmoth. They were the only ones that knew. Did Ladybug really not tell the others? Was she embarassed it was him?

"Ohh right you don't know," The others stared at him with blank faces of confusion, "I'm Chat Noir." 

"No way.." Rena said, "Awww and Marinette's Ladybug!! You really are meant to be!" Adrien smiled at her, and all of a sudden they felt themselves going down. The lift haad been activated, but how?

"You guys were too busy chatting away, so I did the code!" Queen Bee flicked her pony tail. The lift suddenly came to a stop, sending the heroes crashing into each other, Nino shoving Alya into the wall. Adrien looked down and started hitting the glass.

"We're stuck." He sighed, "How are we supposed to go down there and help M'lady?"

He turned round and saw everyone squished together, the hope vanished from their faces. He looked down and sighed. "Well, I guess she'll have to figure this out on her own. Since I don't have my cataclysm." He looked at his hand and frowned. How could he have been stupid enough to trust his Father? He never liked hugs!

                                                                                          *

"You've been keeping Emelie in your secret basement.. the entire time?" Ladybug froze in disbelief. There was no way this was Emelie. It couldn't be.

Hawkmoth nodded, and then looked up in the lift and saw his son. Everything was going as it should.

"But.. why?" Ladybug asked, "If she was dead, why did you lie to the public? The nurses? The police! But above all your family? Why didn't you tell them she was dead, instead of lying saying she 'disappeared'. You made people think she was missing! You gave people hope!"

Hawkmoth grinned. The satisfaction of his enemy losing her cool boosted his ego. He was getting to her. 

Ladybug was about to say more, but then the headaches came back. She began shaking, slowly raising her hand to her head. "Please.." She gasped, "Give me the ring.. I can't go on like this." 

Hawkmoth raised his cane, aiming to knock her out cold. 

"NO!" Adrien screamed and began banging on the glass. He covered his eyes. He heard the noise the cane made when it whacked across her face, and the thud she made when she hit the floor.

"Nathalie!" Ladybug yelled, forcing Adrien to open his eyes. He looked down and saw a lifeless Nathalie on the floor. Tears swelled in his eyes. Nathalie was his mother figure. And now he'd done it, he'd lost another important woman in his life.

Ladybug cowered over Nathalie, looking for any  signs of motion. She was out cold.

"I-I meant to hit you.. not her." Hawkmoth was taken aback. Hadn't Nathalie been on his side? He'd thought she'd come down in the basement to help him, not get herself hurt?

Ladybug stood up, yo-yo swinging. "See this is what happens when you make mistakes!" She charged towards him,  dodging his every hit. "Someone gets hurt at the cost of your stupid choices!" She lunged forward, sliding back into Emelie's coffin.