twenty eight

By now it was late. The heroes were sat in Adrien's dining room, drinking hot chocolate. Nathalie and Emelie were outside speaking to the press. Many reporters and citizenes had gathered outside.

 The silence amongst the 4 teenagers was deafening. Chloe broke the silence.

"Nathalie makes good hot chocolate, Adrien." She smiled through watery eyes. Alya looked at her and smiled back. She could see she was trying. Adrien stared, sat completely still. He was too numb.

Countless memories of him and her replayed in his mind. How could he have never known she was Ladybug? A single tear ran down his cheek. All she wanted was for  Adrien to be happy. She tried to save Gabriel, even after everything he'd put her through. He looked down at the ring on his hand, watching as a tear droplet bounced onto the ring.

"We should go dude.." Nino tapped him on the shoulder, "The press are waiting.. and their gonna want answers.." 

"Wait.." Adrien grabbed his arm, and they all turned to face him. "We have to be honest.. we have to tell them about my father, Marinette being Ladybug.. there's no way we can lie about this.." He looked down. Saying it aloud made it feel more real.

"Are you sure you're up for this.." Alya stroked his back. "We can te-"

Plagg zoomed out of his blazer pocket, alongside Tikki. "Marinette would want this." He looked up at her, forcing a smile. "Claws out."

                                                                                              *

The 4  heroes came outside. Half of the city was there. When he saw Tom and Sabine in the crowd, his heart sunk. They had no idea what they were about to hear. He walked out infront of everyone. 

"Hello Chat Noir, do you mind filling us in on what happened.." Nadja asked. Chat Noir nodded.

"Wait." Nathalie interrupted, "Where's Adrien?"

"Inside.." Queen Bee smiled, "He wants to be alone right now." She looked out into the crowd.

"Understood." Nathalie smiled. Chat Noir took in a deep breath. He froze up.

"We're right here beside you dude.." Carapace rested his hand on his shoulder, "Take your time." He blinked through tears. 

"Okay.." Chat Noir began, "As you know.. the war is finally over. Today we had our final fight against Hawkmoth.. aka, Gabriel Agreste.." The public gasped and began whispering. He coughed over them. "Whilst victory was in our hands, the battle didn't go as planned." His hands began shaking. He gulped. This was the moment.

"When Hawkmoth akumatized Ladybug, no lucky charms were used to erase the magic.. Leaving Ladybug in unbearable pain. Whilst she battled through, she didn't make it.." He swallowed back tears. The public fell silent. Everyone's faces dropped.

"But it isn't Ladybug who we thank today... It's the person she really was.." He sighed, and nodded  to the heroes behind him. A  huge banner dropped, revealing the identity of Ladybug. The reactions were shocking. Everyone let out a gasp.

"Marinette. I could speak about her for days.. She's the one who saved you everyday.. When Gabriel obtained both miraculous, he made his wish. Marinette tried to stop him.. but the wsh affected her also. She did this in an act to save Hawkmoth. Hawkmoth. The enemy. This just proves how perfect she was. All she ever wanted was to keep this city safe, as well as the people in it.
She always gave, but she never recieved. She was an outstanding girl.."

"Now all we ask is that you remember her, the life she lived, and the legacy she left behind. She would hate for you to cry about this, she hates attention." Rena laughed nervously, getting giggles through tears back from the audience.