𝟏𝟖

A/N || don't kill me
don't kill me  don't kill me 

-

𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐍𝐢𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲. Today, July 15th, at 9:05pm I officially turn 18 years old. Nicole threw clothes at me and forced me out of bed at 8:45 and we were out the door by 9. I noticed a bouquet of flowers at the door and was able to glance at the tag on the way out: happy birthday angel, i love you. I ignored it to the best of my abilities, the mildly heartwarming gesture sweet, but not nearly enough to even make me want to text him.

As I got in the car Nicole told me we were going to breakfast, but failed to mention it was me, her, Conrad, and Roman. I don't mind, but I didn't have any time to think about it before I was sitting next to him.

I was pulled into a hug by Connie the second he saw me. After our hug I sat down and Roman threw an arm over me, whispered 'happy birthday elena' and kissed my head. I tried to ignore the reaction I was having and took a sip of my matcha he'd ordered me to distract myself.

"Romes what're you gonna get?" I asked and he shrugged.

"You wanna get a couple pastries and I'll get the omelette you like?" the boy countered and I nodded.

"Yeah, are you sure?" I asked and leaned back into his arm that was over my shoulders.

"Of course," he affirmed and I nodded back into him.

When I looked back at Conrad and Nicole, they both were wide eyed and jaw dropped looking behind me. Roman glanced back and then looked at me worriedly, pulling me into him out of instinct.

"Ken don't-" Nicole started to say but it was too late.

Jeremiah Fisher and Isabel Conklin making out against the wall of the coffee shop across the street from us. On my birthday. After he sent me flowers.

huh.

"It's okay, we're broken up he can do what he wants," I said calmly and took another sip of my matcha, the only thing keeping me from exploding. "Sure did make up his mind pretty quick, seems like someone who's emotionally distraught to me," I added comically, glancing back to see them still eating each others faces.

"I'm gonna go say hi," Nicole said and stood up.

"I'm gonna go with her," Conrad added and followed his girlfriend away from our table.

I just sighed and scooted closer to Roman, letting him wrap both arms around me and hold me closer. I don't want to admit that I silently cried into him, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't. I don't even care that he's making out with somebody, it's just that he's with her. That's the girl that started our problems in the first place. I don't know why she's so adamant about getting a Fisher, but damn she is persistent.

Roman held me and rubbed a hand up and down my back, whispering sweet little things to me to try to keep me from having a breakdown during my birthday brunch. I think I was actually shaking when Nicole and Con came back, both of them still looked mad and I'm pretty sure they had to keep each other from swinging or something.

"Well this birthday's off to a great start," I commented with a laugh and wiped away the tears that had fell. Roman's hand rubbed up and down my arm comfortingly and I had to keep myself from crying again. "What if I went to talk to him?" I asked and Nicole shook her head.