𝟐𝟗

𝐖𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐞𝐭𝐬. 

"Should we walk or find a beach further away?" I asked and the boy shrugged.

"Whatever you want," he replied and I rolled my eyes.

"That's the most unhelpful thing you could've said," I said and Jeremiah grinned, readjusting the blanket on his shoulder so it wouldn't fall. 

"Fine let's just walk," Jer suggested and I nodded.

"Kay," I agreed and held a blanket while he held the other one. 

We started walking to the beach that–when mapped– is about a quarter-mile away. It was nice out, a breeze blowing over us but still warm enough out to counter it. I feel a little like I'm in middle school again because our hands keep brushing as we walk and I'm freaking out like a seventh grader.

I ignored it to the very best of my abilities and focused on the feeling of anything else really. The way the air smells like the sea, the feeling of my hair getting messed up in the salt air, and the mild crunch of the ground below our feet. 

We walked in oddly comfortable silence, just enjoying the ambient nighttime vibe and not really knowing what to say. The boy got a little bolder when we got down to the wooden steps to the beach and I could feel his hand ghosting over the small of my back. 

When I looked up at him, he smiled innocently and said, "Just makin sure you don't slip."

Every little brush of his touch sent shivers through my whole body and I realized just how screwed I am when we were laying down the first blanket.

"Ken Ken which one do you think is softer?" he asked and gently guided my wrist up to the blanket he was holding and then to the one I was holding.

"Mine," I replied and the boy nodded.

"I'll put mine on the sand then," Jer said as he laid it out. 

Oh shit we're sharing a blanket. There's nothing intimate about that at all. heh.

When the blanket was fully out on the sand I noticed that it wasn't as big as I'd thought and am going to be shoulder to shoulder with him to keep us on it. I composed myself and sat down next to him, throwing my blanket over the both of us.

The two of us laid back so we were looking at the stars. The two of us stayed pretty quiet for a while, until Jer nudged me to get my attention.

"It's Saturn Ken," Jeremiah said and pointed up in the general vicinity of what he was looking at. 

"I have no idea where you're pointing J," I replied back to him and he tilted his head to look at me. His hand dropped back down and his fingers laced with mine, but our pointer fingers stayed up making a little tower that pointed into the night sky.

"Right here angel," he whispered and guided our hands till I saw Saturn. I'm not positive that I did see Saturn though, because all I could even think about was being this close to him.

"Oh yeah I see it," I replied as casually as I could, but he knew he got through to me.

"The moon looks good on you," Jer whispered out of the blue and I could feel my face heating up.

"J-"

"Let me compliment you, you're gorgeous, girlfriend or not," the boy cut me off and he seemed so nonchalant that I just shook my head and smiled.