𝟐𝟖

𝐈 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐉𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐚𝐡 𝐅𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐞𝐝. This restaurant has been on our bucket list as long as we have been wanting to go to Charleston. There was no way I could say no to this, and when I told Nicole she just smiled said, "Figured it was a matter of time," and told me she loved me.

Telling Roman was surprisingly easy, he said to let him know if anything happens and if something does he understands. I told him it was unlikely and he proceeded to look at me–like the all knowing guy he is–with an are you serious face that had both of us laughing. 

So that is how I find myself sitting across from Jeremiah on a patio over the ocean with waves crashing into the shore underneath the stilted restaurant. 

We ubered there and both had our fake IDs so it wasn't overly surprising when Jeremiah ordered us wine. 

As the waiter left with our drink orders, I looked at Jer with an eyebrow raised, "Wine, really?"

He bit back his little smirk and shrugged, "It's your favorite," is what he said and I rolled my eyes. 

The boy wanted me to say out loud that I was thinking about the last time we drank wine and were all over each other. It was like truth serum and lust in a bottle and the two of us couldn't get enough–of it or each other. I know thats what he wants me to say, but judging from the look on his face, even me thinking about it was enough for him. 

"What're you gonna get," I changed the subject and he chuckled airily under his breath before looking at the menu.

"Not sure, what about you?" he switched the question and I shrugged.

"Chop salad," I replied and the boy nodded.

"The lobster mac and cheese looks good," he commented and I nodded.

"Yeah," is all I said, but all I could think is how the fuck does he remember us looking at the menu actual years ago. That lobster mac was why I wanted to come here in the first place. Fuck.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence because although he said it casually, I didn't miss his quick face scan. The scan that he's always been a little too good at.

"I thought you wanted to try the shrimp thing last time we talked about here?" I questioned and he shrugged.

"The lobster mac looks good today," Jeremiah said and I nodded absentmindedly. 

I felt his eyes on me a minute later and I turned my attention to him, "What's up?"

"You're gorgeous Kendall, like drop dead fucking gorgeous," he said, still in a bit of a trance. 

"Jer–"

"Inside and out. Heart of gold, smile of the gods, pure soul; you're just completely perfect. God I can't believe I lost you," the last sentence was under his breath but I heard every word, struggling not to melt under his gaze.

Before I could say anything the waiter came over with the wine, both of us going quiet as he poured the glasses.

The waiter walked away and I took a sip of my wine.

"That wasn't very platonic of you," I said half-seriously and his half smile came back.

"Wasn't really trying to be," he replied and took a sip of his drink, keeping eye contact with me.