CHAPTER 34

Following our emotional exchange, Ma'am Vivien tenderly wiped away her tears. Her movements indicated that she was drying her eyes, and then she gently released her embrace from around me. At that moment, a smile graced her lips as she gazed at me.

"Would you like some water? Are you feeling thirsty?" she asked, her concern evident.

I nodded in response, using my hand to wipe away my own tears. "Yes, please. Sasama po ako sa inyo sa baba," I replied.

"Okay," with care, she rose from her position and guided me out of my room, holding onto my arm in a gentle manner.

Pinaupo niya ako sa couch at kumuha siya ng tubig sa kitchen. Mabilis naman siyang bumalik at binigay sakin ang isang baso ng tubig. I gracefully accepted it. Pinanood niya akong umiinom ng tubig nang tumunog ang cellphone niya indicating na may tumatawag. Kinuha niya ang phone mula sa bulsa at sinagot katabi ako.

"Yes, Mr. Mercedez. Freyja is fine." Sabi nito while talking on the other line.

"Dad?" I inquired. Napatingin sakin si Ma'am Vivien at binigay ang phone sakin, agad ko namang tinanggap.

"Freyja, sweetie." Tawag ni dad sakin. A gentle smile crept on her lips while watching me talking to the other line.

"Dad, kamusta kayo? Where's mom?" I asked.

"We're fine anak. I'm sorry hindi kami nagpaalam agad sayo kasi maaga kaming umalis ng mom mo." He answered.

"It's okay dad, naiintindihan ko po." Sagot ko dito.

"We will be back within 5 days. Ma'am Vivien will watch over you." Dad said.

Tumingin ako kay Ma'am Vivien at ngumiti. "Yes dad. Be careful, both of you."

"We will. We're doing this for our princess." He said.

"Thank you, dad." After our brief conversation, binigay ko na ang phone kay Ma'am Vivien.

"You can count on me, Mr. Mercedez. She'll be in my care." Pagkakuway binaba na niya ang tawag.

Inabot ko ang remote para manood ng penthouse, matagal-tagal na rin akong hindi nakakanood at nasa season 2 pa ako. Tumayo naman si Ma'am Vivien tapos pumunta ng kusina. A few minutes later, I observed Ma'am Vivien emerging from the kitchen carrying a plate with sliced fruits. She placed the small bowl on the table in front of me.

"Here, have some," she kindly offered. Her caring gestures towards me made me feel slightly bashful. She truly was someone who cared deeply.

"Thank you, ma'a-"

I was cut off by a sudden blaring honk from outside the gate. The noise was incessant, repeating itself over and over.

As we both got up, Ma'am Vivien reassured me, "Stay here, I'll see who that is." Lumabas si Ma'am Vivien at nanood naman ako ulit.

While I sat in front of the TV, the unmistakable sound of heavy footsteps reached my ears, and soon after, the woman I had been longing to see stood before me. Her gaze was intense, cold, and icy. She tossed her bag onto the table and locked eyes with me.

"Ma'am?" I inquired, my voice laced with surprise. Naka-taas ang kilay nitong nakatingin sakin.

"What is she doing here?" she asked, her voice is calm but intense.

"I'll be watching her for days, Rhea." Si Ma'am Vivien na ang sumagot.

"Who told you?" Ma'am Rhea retorted.

Nakita kong napabuntong hininga nalang si Ma'am Vivien. "Her parents, of course." Tipid nitong sagot.

Ma'am Rhea regarded us with an expression of disbelief in her eyes, her facial expression clearly conveying the message, "You better have an explanation for this, Mercedez," as she directed her gaze at me.