CHAPTER 36

"Ma'am...hindi pwede." I replied, she's still gripping on my arms.

"Please, come with me." She pleaded again. Her voice wavered as she hold on tighter.

"Umuwi ka na po. Uwi ka na."

"I promise, I'll get better from now on. Jael, don't stay here please."

"Ma'am ano bang problema niyo?" I retorted. Gusto kong malaman kung ano ang nangyayari sa kanya.

"Me, I'm the problem."

"Alam niyo naman po pala bakit pa kayo nandito? Alam mo bang ikaw pa ang mas nagpapahirap sakin?" I said, my voice began to quiver.

"I know. I know, that's why I'm here."

"Para saan pa, ma'am?"

"Fix this, fix us."

"There's no us."

I notice a trace of sadness in her eyes as my words landed, and her grasp on my arms loosened. She averted her gaze, seemingly trying to regain her composure.

"I understand that things have been challenging for you, but they have been for me as well," she said softly.

"For now, I need distance from you. Please, give me time," I said, carefully releasing her hold on my hands.

"Jael, please," she persisted.

I slipped inside, shutting the gate door behind me, and disregarding her repeated use of the name "Jael." It wasn't my name, and I couldn't understand why she insisted on calling me that.

Despite my reluctance, I had to prioritize my own emotional well-being. I truly loved her, but the cycle of pain and mixed signals needed to end for both our sakes this time.

Pumasok ako sa kwarto at humiga ulit. Napayakap ako sa sarili dahil sa lamig na dumikit sakin galing sa labas. The cold breeze was intense, is she gonna be okay?

Whatever.

Bakit palagi ko siyang naiisip.

Trying to disregard her presence outside, I was uncertain if she still there, but I needed to rest. Slowly closing my eyes, I unexpectedly drifted back to sleep.

Nagising ako sa katok ni Ma'am Vivien mula sa labas ng kwarto.

"Frey? Wake up, breakfast is ready!" tawag nito sakin.

Dahan-dahan akong bumangon at inunang tumingin sa labas ng bintana, wala akong nakita sasakyan niya at lalong anino niya. Maybe she had gone home.

Naglakad ako papunta sa pintuan. I cautiously turned the doorknob, gently opening it, and was met with Ma'am Vivien in her night attire of pants and a shirt. Her face wore a smile as she faced me, devoid of makeup. Her blue eyes shone beautifully, her natural appearance surpassing any cosmetic enhancement.

"Good morning," she greeted, her smile beaming.

"Susunod po ako, ma'am. I just need to freshen up," I replied, feeling a bit self-conscious about my morning appearance.

"Don't worry, you're naturally beautiful, now and always. Tara?" she said, not allowing me a chance to respond before guiding me downstairs.

She handed me a toothbrush and facial soap, she set about preparing milk.

Natapos naman ako agad pagkakuway umupo na. Ma'am Vivien handed a glass of milk.

"Do you have classes today, ma'am?" I inquired while we were eating.

"I have a crucial meeting today, so I'll need to leave you here. My maid will be available to assist you. Besides, it's only for 7 hours, and I'll be back," she explained, elegantly enjoying her meal.