CHAPTER 50

[Rhea's POV]

“Your heart is empty just like your promises.”

It may sound simple for her, but breaking my promises, especially to her, was excruciating. Deep inside, my love for her remains unwavering. I'm profoundly in love with her.

Her words shattered me into pieces, like crashing into a massive rock on the road while desperately trying to hit the brakes.

Yet, I can't just stand there, watching my shattered soul.

After discovering that my mother's heart is within her, it felt like a significant part of me had been ripped away, leaving me incomplete.

I love her.

I just need some time apart for now because I can't bear it.

The night I searched her parents' room, it yielded nothing. There was no information about the doctor, her doctor. All I found was her name and a blank space where the doctor's name should be.

"Eya..."

"Is it all worth it?" I questioned my father.

"My daughter..."

"The truth, the evidence is right here in my hands. But why do I feel so hollow inside? I should be elated now that everything is finally unraveling," I cried, collapsing onto my knees again.

"Eya, it's for the best," he said.

Upon hearing that, I stood up, nearly losing my balance as I succumbed to my tears. I hurriedly left the room, the mansion, and drove to a place where I always find solace and tranquility.

A place where I can express my vulnerability, unfiltered.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I mustered my strength, determined not to let my tears blur my vision.

"Happy birthday, princess! Here's my gift for you!"

"Name her Layla, take care of her. She's a good girl. Layla will be your support when I'm not around. When I'm not here, she'll be your best friend and will always be with you."

I vividly recalled that night, my birthday. My mother had been called to the hospital and hurried away. I waited for her return, anticipation mixing with worry.

"I'll be back..."

Those were her last words, the final ones I heard from her before she vanished like the wind.

I halted my car abruptly, reaching for a small blue container before stepping out.

I'm here, at last.

I took slow steps, my eyes fixed on the tombstone in front of me.

Dr. Rheanne Bleyth C. Isfaela
Born: July 18 1988
Died: October 14 2009

"Ma..." I didn't finish my sentence as I knelt down, facing the grave.

I'm consumed by an overwhelming urge to scream, to release the pent-up emotions within me.

The pain, the anger, and the grief are suffocating, leaving me feeling utterly broken and helpless.

I'm like a shattered soul, and I can't find anyone to rescue me.

I said I needed to save myself, but it feels impossible.

All I can articulate is the agony, aching deep within me. My heart feels like an immeasurable weight, and all I want to do is weep while standing before my mother's grave. I long for peace, to rest beside her, but she's now above, and my resting place vanished 15 years ago. Now, I'm uncertain about the kind of solace I should seek.