CHAPTER 37

Observing her fragile state while she cradled the picture, a profound realization settled in my heart.

Whoever that person in the picture was, they held an immense significance in her life.

The tenderness with which she touched and caressed the photograph, her eyes fluttering shut, painted a poignant picture of its importance to her.

Suppressing my own emotions, I pushed aside the thoughts the image evoked. The priority was her well-being. Her condition couldn't be ignored. Determination took hold, I needed to care for her. With a fever raging, I set my focus on lowering her temperature, hoping to alleviate the heat that had consumed her body.

Mabilis akong bumaba kahit malayo ang kitchen para makahanap ng towel or kahit anong damit ay pwede pero nanlumo ako pagkadating ko dahil wala. Bumalik ulit ako sa kwarto niya, I found her groaning over her fever. A surge of panic gripped me, prompting me to rush to her dresser in search of suitable clothes or soft cotton to place on her forehead. My urgency led me to search the drawers hastily, and once again, my eyes widened in surprise.

There it was, another white lab gown.

Despite the odd coincidence, the urgency of her groaning overpowered my concerns, and I grabbed the cotton I had found. Racing downstairs, I started to wet the cotton with a warm water, determined to do whatever I could to alleviate her discomfort.

"Jael...." she weakly murmured while I entire her room again.

"Ma'am.." I said placing the warm cloth on her forehead.

Her body shivers while groaning. She won't stop moving.

"Ma'am?" I inquired. Pinipigilan ko ang pag galaw niya habang hawak ko ang kaliwang braso niya.

Her continuous groans spurred me into action, and I devised a plan to bring her comfort and ease her distress. Maingat akong humiga sa tabi niya. Gently, I enveloped both of us in the comforter, ensuring warmth while my arms encircled her, offering solace in an attempt to quell her discomfort. Bahagya naman siyang napatigil sa pagkilos.

Ang init ng katawan niya.

Binalot ko siya ng yakap, sobrang higpit. Naramdaman ko ang pag stable ng paghinga niya and she purposely moved her body as she faced my chest, there she buried her face. Kahit mainit ay hindi ko na ininda, anything that could comfort her.

"Don't leave." She whispered softly.

Tenderly, my fingers glided through her hair, a gentle caress as I used my touch to soothe her.

"Hmm.." in response to her distressed sounds.

Gradually, I leaned in, placing a soft kiss on her forehead, a gesture meant to convey reassurance and solace.

Minutes had passed and I notice that she finally falls in to slumber. Maingat akong bumangon kasi hindi pa nawawala ang init ng katawan niya. Her hand is gripping on my arms ensuring that I will not leave her, a gentle smile crept on my lips.

How can she be this soft?

I extended my hand towards a small receptacle holding warm water and a damp cloth, both intended to provide relief to her feverish body. Delicately, I lifted the wet cloth, carefully squeezing out excess moisture before using the cloth to wipe her forehead and arms, all the while employing a gentle touch.

Tiningnan ko ang suot niya, it's just a white sleeve. Naisipan kong ihubad ito sa kanya para palitan ng magaan or mas komportable pang damit. But the feeling of embarrassment, knowing I will unbutton her sleeve made my face blush. Pero wala akong choice, I need to.