10.

Valli saw Shakra with her brother at the verandah of the palace. Standing at the threshold, Shakra whistled. Breaking free from his caretaker, Vayu reached Shakra. The caretaker brought her brother’s horse.

Valli sighed. In this way Aaditya was never going to win the hearts of the people. It was a show match that Aaditya did not recognize. A soldier is measured on several parameters. One of them is how compatible he is with the stallion he rides. The horse should know the signals of its master very well. The master should know the horse very well. Shakra showcased his deep bond with the stallion while Aaditya did not. It was a whole different matter that Valli knew he didn’t have the same connection with any of the horses in their stable.

Even the subtle ways she tried to influence Aaditya and make him the right heir was failing. Valli felt horrible for using all those prostitutes to teach Aaditya what people found charming and what they didn’t. She wanted to hold the belief that women are not commodity but the state she was in, she had no option.

“Anna, can I also join?” Valli asked, acting very girlish.

“Silly, we are going hunting. What will you do there?” Aaditya chuckled at the thought that his sister could hunt tigers.

“Let her come, Yuvraj Aaditya. Someday your sister has to become a Prince’s Princess. Your sister has no experience with exactly how hunts can be. It is required if she has to capture any Prince.” Shakra said. Valli clenched her fists at his audacity to assume that she needed to impress a man for any reason.

“Be quick, Valli. We don’t want to wait too long.” Aaditya told her.

Valli was quick to take it before her brother changed his mind. She changed into a green dhoti and a top. Her long hair piled up in the turban on her head. A few strands still escaped and decorated her face.

She reached them and they brought her horse. “Hello, Pavan. I hope you’re doing well. We’re going hunting today. Hope you are all excited to run.” Valli patted her horse affectionately. The horse tapped its fore feet in response. Valli chuckled and got up the horse.
“Let’s go…” She answered excitedly.

Shakra passed her a glance. “Rajkumari if I wasn’t aware I would have assumed that you have quite good knowledge about how to dress for hunting.”

She gave him a look. “Yuvraj is known for coming to the right conclusion but he doesn’t prove the same in my case. It should be common knowledge for all girls that a saree isn’t the right choice for hunting.” She acted sweet and innocent.

Shakra chuckled. The girl was interesting. “I do not mean to offend the Princess. Men are generally assuming that women might not be aware of things related to hunting and battle. My sisters do not show any interest in hunting animals. I was not aware that this can be common knowledge. But at least I learnt something today.”

Shakra’s cheerful reply even when the reply Valli gave could be taken in an offensive stance made Aaditya think. Did Shakra have an interest in Valli? Aaditya assumed it to be a thing of interest. If Valli did end up becoming Shakra’s Queen, Aaditya could secure the throne with Shakra’s help. That would make him a powerful King no one would want to cross. He thanked the heavens that Valli was coming with them. It was a great opportunity.

Shakra grinned at being able to irritate Valli and took off. Shakra loved his hunting. It gave him a rush. Especially hunting in the dark. It picked off on his rush to be dangerous. Tigers come out at night to hunt. That’s when Shakra liked to hunt. But Aadtiya didn’t pick up the dangerous part of the hunt.

Valli’s core idea was to observe Shakra and take him in a moment he didn’t expect. When Shakra moved a bit ahead, Aaditya turned to Valli, “Keep him interested in you. I want him to want you. I guess your maids must have at least told you a little bit about how to make men interested in you.”