82.

This is the final chapter in this story guys!!!! I'm so thankful to you all for following through on my journey. This story has been my hard work with background research on Ancient India and so many things. I've learned a lot in this writing journey.

=========================

When Mayurakshi finished her bath, she saw Karma and Diksha animatedly talking about her outfit for the day.

"Are you two alright? What is the fuss about?"

"Rajkumari, we have to look your best today."

"Is there a festival or anything?"

"No, there isn't a festival."

"Then what is going on?"

Karma and Diksha looked at each other with a smile. The door opened and Amritakumari entered the room. "Atthaiyya?"

She smiled at Mayurakshi. Karma and Diksha bowed down to her. "You haven't yet decided on the outfit you want to wear?"

"I usually leave it to Diksha to decide the clothing for the day," Mayurakshi commented, confused about the whole outfit question. Amritakumari signaled Diksha. Diksha instantly brought forward all the clothing options they had looked at.

"I like yellow and red. The two are auspicious colors. Amritakumari decided. Mayurakshi finished dressing in the red and yellow saree. Amrita made Mayurakshi sit down before the mirror and decorated the jewelry on her.

"From today, Mayura, you will always keep your head up and look people in the eye. In the world of men, women don't have much space to spread their wings. But remember this: you are Sita to Ayodhya. You are Draupadi to Indraprastha. You are Kamakshi to Kailasha. You are Mahalakshmi to Vaikuntha. This Empire is your home. Defend it ferociously. Anyone who wishes harm to this home of yours is your enemy. You aren't a sparrow. You aren't a bunny. You are the tiger next to Chandika. Never let anyone take away that ferocity from you. Bangaram kaadu Mayura, nuvve Sri Mahalakshmi. Premaga nee bharta ninnu emani pilichina parledu kani andaru gurtunndedattuga undu. Nuvve Sri Mahalakshmi ikkada." (You aren't gold; you are the goddess who gives wealth. Your husband may call you whatever he wants, but live in a way everyone remembers. You are Sri Mahalakshmi here.)

"Atthaiyya?" Mayurakshi was confused.

"You are officially going to be my heir from today on. Don't be my heir in the name. Take it in essence. Every single Empress of the Kalika Empire has been the essence of Sri Chandika, whom we worship. Chandika is a loving mother to all her children, but she is ferocious, and people don't dare cross her. When they do, they face the harsh consequences."

"Me?" Mayurakshi's shock made its way into her face. She couldn't understand. It was just unusual. She didn't expect it at all. She hadn't envisioned Amrita making her the future Empress of the Kalika Empire. She had sounded quite unsure of it when she first arrived in the Kalika Empire. All his siblings did.

"Yes."

"Did Mavaiyya say anything about it?"

"Maharaj doesn't decide who takes my throne. I do. You have earned your position here, Mayura." Amritakumari looked at the burn mark on her ankles when she brought the anklet.

"Atthaiyya, I'll put that myself..." She hesitated to let her touch her feet. Amritakumari looked at her and smiled. Mayurakshi took the anklets from her and put them on herself. "I didn't save him to get a title, Atthaiyya."

She couldn't take the idea that someone was putting a price tag on her love for the man who was like a father to her. Her affection and care were purely out of her own choice. She didn't want it to be maligned by people's nonsense commentary.