61.

"Rajkumari, Maharaj has requested an audience with you in his study." Karma informed her. Mayurakshi quickly put down her embroidery project and proceeded to the Raj Bhavan. She saw Abhijit looking really angry. She made a note to check into that later and proceeded to the study. The guards opened the doors for her.

Mayurakshi had recognized the woman sitting on the edge of his armchair as the concubine that her father-in-law was passing time with these days. "Pranaam, Mavaiyya." She touched his feet as she always does when she sees him and sat down in the chair before he signaled for her to sit. (father-in-law)

Shatrujit had very quickly established that he wanted her to be addressed as Mavaiyya instead of Maharaj. Although the brothers addressed him as Maharaj in court and sometimes out of court as well, his daughters at all times addressed him as Nanna. Whether in court or outside it, he applied the same rule to Mayurakshi.

Shatrujit placed a few parchments and books before her. "These are regarding the accounts and other related information."

Mayurakshi took them, but she looked confused as to why he was giving them to her. The expression on her face made Shatrujit laugh.

"I'm sorry, but I'm just confused. Suddenly, you're giving these reports."

"I spoke to Amrita and requested these reports. Currently, she's handling all the expenditures and the finances. She's always taken care of all those. She takes care of the finances of all the children as well. Then she also looks into the kingdom's finances. I thought that it was time you also took some burden off her."

"You want such a young girl to handle it, Maharaj? She's practically a child. What will she understand? If Mahadevi needs help, I'm always willing to help her." His concubine instantly giggled but tried to hide her displeasure.

"Sshhhsss..." Shatrujit silenced her and then looked at Mayurakshi and said, "Nanna, this is just the beginning. I need you to be involved in the court a little more from now on. I am not aware if you have had experience handling any of this in Krishneri, but you're Guru Vishwanath's student. I have great expectations of success from you. You're a quick learner. I'm sure you'll handle it easily."

Mayurakshi nodded. "Mavaiyya, I'll not let you down." She smiled at his trust in her.

"I know that Amrita isn't very fond of you right now, but you can't expect things to be okay on their own, Nana. You have to take a step yourself, too. So, my opinion is that you should start showing interest in state affairs. I know her. She's hard like a coconut on the outside, but there's sweetness within. She needs some time to get to know you properly, and then I'm sure she'll come to like you too. Her only hesitation is because you are not her choice. If you try, I'm sure you will impress her."

Mayurakshi hesitated for a moment and then said. "Honestly, Mavaiyya, I'm a bit scared of her. My relationship with my mother wasn't the best one. I've been rude to her many times. Maharani Raashi was never my mother figure. So, suddenly, having to deal with a mother-in-law is a bit difficult. I don't know what to talk to her about or how to be with her."

He smiled at her. "I know her very well. She is naturally loving. I'm sure she'll come around if you spend some time with her. She loves Kamal and Vikram dearly. The two are my children with my concubines. She didn't have to accept them or be motherly to them, but she has always loved them both dearly. You cannot dare tell her that they aren't her children. Every single child of mine is her child. If she can love you, then she can surely love you."

Mayurakshi glanced at the woman behind him, who was burning, hearing the wording coming out of his mouth.

She looked at the files she was given and smiled. It was an unusual feeling to be trusted with important things. She didn't have much to do back in Krishneri's direct state affairs. It was a different thing that she ran a rebellion secretly underneath and also did a lot of public administration work that her brother skipped out on, but she hadn't been directly involved.