55.

The army returned to the fort, but the drums weren't playing. It was a rushed return.

"Maharaj!!! The army is back."

"Why is the whole fort so quiet then?" Shatrujit asked, worried.

"Yuvraj is unconscious. It has been three days. He had been hit by an arrow. No one knows where the arrow came from, but it was poisoned, and he is unconscious."

"Where the vaid in the army?" Shatrujit instantly stood up and walked towards the infirmary at a quick pace. It didn't take long for the queens to show up with the princesses.

Shakra was lying on a bed with vaids all around him. Translucent curtains surrounded the bed to keep some around to reduce unwanted infections. Shatrujit watched his boy lay unconscious. "What poison is instilled in him?" He asked them.

"Maharaj, we do not know yet. He is in a very serious condition. He is injured terribly. The poison seems to be rare." The head vaid explained.

Amritakumari rushed inside and moved inside the curtain. "Mahadevi, I advise against touching the prince. His condition is critical. Any infection can lead to death."

Chaos began to be audible outside. Shatrujit walked out to see Aparajita, Saahiti, and Medhajiti blocking Mayurakshi's way.

"What do you mean, 'I am not allowed to see him'? Who are you to issue such nonsense orders?" Mayurakshi challenged, and her eyes blazed with fire.

"Oh, please. Don't pretend, Rajkumari. This is what you really prayed for. You wanted my brother to die. It seems that the goddess did fulfill your wish. My brother is close to dying."

"Which stupid woman would wish for widowhood, Rajkumari? Do you hear yourself before you speak?"

"You tried so many times to kill him. We all know. You tried to kill him that day in Veenapuram but failed. Now, somehow, you may have given information to the enemy to kill him. Just like how your brother tried to kill him using trickery, you must have also done the same. No apple can fall so far from the tree!" Aparajita spewed venom.

Mayurakshi's temper hit the roof. "Stay in your lane. You don't want me to start spilling venom on you. Don't start slandering me when you wish to remain pearly white."

"Really? There is something like trying to kill the man who only loved you. You tried to kill him while he was in Pragvamsa. You couldn't have known he was in Pragvamsa unless you had people following him." Saahiti accused her.

"Why would I not know when he was visiting me the very night he was leaving for Pragvamsa? He came to see me. I met him. He told me himself that he was going to Pragvamsa."

"You couldn't have known which forest he was hunting in. No one did. Even we didn't. It was a sudden plan on Prince Aadhitya's part. You couldn't have known which forest he was in unless you had yourself sent assassins."

"I don't have time to play detective with you, Saahiti. Get out of my way."Mayurakshi growled.

"I am not going to let you kill my brother!!! You're just an assassin. God knows why my brother loves a woman that even her own father couldn't."

Mayurakshi stood up with Aparajita and drew out a knife. "I've been pretty nice to you. If you don't like me, then stay away from me. I didn't come to beg for attention. I didn't come to your brother begging for attention. I didn't come to the Kalika Empire begging for attention. Neither do I care for your affection nor the stupid crown that rests with your mother. I didn't ask your brother to marry me, but from the moment he tied the mangalsutra around my neck, he belonged to me. Neither you nor anyone else can tell me otherwise. None of you have the right to his life. Not even Yama. My husband belongs to me. I don't need your expert advice on marriage. I know how to handle mine. I am not in your way. Don't get into mine." The rage that outpoured her could scare anyone. "I am generally not a violent person but don't push my buttons. You stand dangerously close to making me react in a way you will regret later."