19.

The Princes of the Kalika Empire receive official fiefdoms when they earn victories. According to the title, their fiefdoms were given to them. The taxes collected from them were the personal property of the Princes. They were, in a certain way, rulers of the place.

One of the many fiefdoms that Shakra has is Veenapuram which is the bordering town to Krishneri. Veenapuram had a few issues with flooding of the river during the rainy season. Though several attempts had been made to help the river, Shakra hadn't received satisfactory results.

Shakra looked at the map of the river that was drawn. He was under a tent that was set up for him out in the open. A few ministers stood with Shakra.

"Dig a few canals and have them moving towards other areas. So, the river is going to have many more channels open for draining water. Dig out a few more wells. Maybe it will also solve the problem during the summer about water. Also, create ponds and lakes here, here and here..." Shakra mapped out the areas where he wanted water channels and large ponds and lakes to be dug out. He told the ministers there. They nodded.

"Here eat something, child. All of you are struggling so much..." An old woman showed up with some jamun. Shakra turned leaned on the table laid out and grinned at her.

"Nannamma, I hope they're free and you don't want payment for it." He teased her.

"Tch. Tch. Tch. Such a big boy you are and you still want free things. Sure, I don't want money." She chided him, shaking her head but handed him the berries regardless.

Shakra laughed. "Come sit here." He offered a seat under the tent. The heat wasn't nice and she had walked quite long.

The ministers watched in amazement. While he ate jamun, he showed her the plans for the canals and lakes. "Oh!!!" She suddenly realized at that moment that he was the Prince and not some rich boy.

"I apologize, Yuvraj. I didn't recognize you." She instantly began apologizing to him and got up afraid of the reaction.

"My luck. At least I got to eat Jamun." He teased her with a boyish smile.

Maanas came to him and whispered in his ear, "Yuvraj, Rajkumari Valli has arrived here. She is waiting for you."

"Why?"

"Even Indra is incapable of figuring out what goes on in the mind of a woman. How would I know?"

Shakra rolled his eyes, "You're supposed to know it. I pay you for it." He turned to the old woman, "Nannamma, take care of yourself. A few soldiers will help you back home. Don't find yourself in any hurry. I have something to attend to. The Jamun is brilliant. Don't go around giving them to everyone for free You'll now even earn a single cowrie like that."

He walked away with Maanas. When he reached his castle, he saw Valli's palanquin and recognized it instantly. When he reached there, he found Valli checking out a few swords and daggers in his visiting room. "Should I take a chance with the dagger in your hands?" Shakra grinned.

She turned around and smiled at him, "I met Mayurakshi along the way, you know? She's an interesting person but then I wonder what's the take here? She's not the Princess of a powerful Empire. She's not the Queen's favorite child. What do you get from pursuing her?"

Shakra grinned and sat on his chair. The chair was made from hardwood with gold and silver engravings with gemstone studs. Two large tigers on the armrests. His royal regalia always carried that chair around for him. He particularly loved that chair.

He poured them both a welcome drink, "Have it."

She sat down next to him and took the drink. "If you and I are similar, there has to be something to gain. I wouldn't pursue someone without a catch."