chapter forty

I'm confused by how she looks at me when she opens her eyes

I'm confused by how she looks at me when she opens her eyes. All the emotion has left her soul. She stares at me blankly, switching her eyes between mine and the door.

She looks to where my hand is holding her arm. "Don't touch me."

Those are her first words to me. I instantly remove my hand to give her comfort. I shortly apologize after that. She tries to get up, even though the doctor says she is too weak. "Baby, what are you doing, you're gonna hurt yourself—"

She hits my hands away and sits up on the bed. "I need to go." Her eyes were so cold. Those honey eyes turned into dark pits. She reaches to tear to IV drip off of her arm and I stop her, standing up to prevent her from going. "Aia, what's wrong?" She looks dead into my eyes with a clenched jaw as she breaks free from my hold; her eyes filling up with tears.

"Don't touch me, Zade." She grits. Hitting my hands away. She tears the drip from her arms, sniffing her tears away. "Sweetheart, look at me." I put my hand under her chin gently and turned her head to me. She has tears in her eyes, and I've never felt my heart more broken. She looks down as if she'd crumble if she looked into my eyes for one more second. "Talk to me, my love." She still looks away. Her pent-up tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Z-Zade—" She struggles to get the words out, and I understand, she's always been the one to hide her emotions or struggle voicing them out. "Talk to me," I say. "I'm right here."

She raises her hand and wipes her tears off roughly, pushing me away. "Where is Kim? Did you find her?" She looked different, sounded different, and behaved differently. "Who's Kim?"

"Short, brown hair, green eyes...?" Her description matched the girl we met yesterday in the forest. "She's here."

Zhaian doesn't waste a second and stands up on her feet, ignoring the pain in her feet. I know she feels it. "Where? Where?!"

"What the fuck is your problem?!" I yell when she shakes me to answer her where this so-called Kim is. "What is wrong with you, what is wrong with you?" I say softer. "What is wrong with me?" She chuckles, stumbling back. "Everything. Everything is wrong, Zade. Every fucking thing." Her voice breaks up in between. "I'm fucked up, to no return." Her eyes are pools when she looks into my eyes. "And I certainly want nothing to do with you." She said. "Go back to how it was. Me begging for your attention and affection, you didn't give to me then and I certainly don't want it now."

I look at the woman in front of me.

She's Zhaian, but not my Zhaian.