chapter fourty-four

After we went to a few more stores and before I knew it, it was dawn

After we went to a few more stores and before I knew it, it was dawn. He got me a lot of things, I have my own money, but I didn't use a cent.

We're in the elevator that leads to the inside of his house from the garage, and we are standing in awkward silence. I look at him just to catch a glimpse and I catch his eyes. We kept our relationship mutual since the day I came here. We didn't hug, we didn't kiss, we didn't do anything.

All we did together was train and eat.

As the elevator doors slide open, revealing the spacious, modern interior of his home, an unspoken tension hangs in the air. He breaks the silence, "You can put your things in your room." 

We know where Diego and his team are hiding, Volkov is in Zade's warehouse, all that's needed now is action.

One more training session and then we are done. I put all the things he bought for me away and step out for dinner because I'm hungry, and I smell something cooking. I think I forgot to say that this man is the best cook alive.

"What are you making?" I asked as I skipped down the stairs in more comfortable clothes. "Pizza." He replied. I almost jump up in happiness.

As the aroma of fresh pizza fills the air, we sit at the dining table, sharing a meal that goes beyond the usual protein-packed regimen. The conversation shifts from strategy and training to lighter topics, revealing facets of each other we hadn't explored before.

The night unfolds with laughter and easy camaraderie, a stark contrast to the intensity of our mission. It's a brief respite, a stolen moment of normalcy in the midst of chaos. The cityscape outside the window seems to pause, watching as we forge connections that extend beyond the confines of duty and danger.

In the midst of this ordinary yet extraordinary evening, the bond between us deepens. The impending confrontation with Diego and Volkov looms, but for now, we find solace in the simple pleasure of good food and shared moments. As we savor the last slices of pizza, a sense of unity settles over us, fortifying our resolve for the challenges that lie ahead.

. . .

The next day was a blur of emotions as we navigated the sterile corridors of the hospital to bring Kim back with us. Seeing her weak but smiling filled me with both relief and concern. Zade, always the pillar of strength, reassured her, "We're taking you to my place. You need a proper place to rest and recover." Even though I had to force the words out of him, he sounded gentle and genuine.

Kim hesitated, a mix of gratitude and uncertainty on her face. "I don't want to be a burden, especially with everything going on." As I stood here, I could spot similarities in looks between her and Zade. Hair texture, lips, face shape and accent. I'd like to think Kim looks like their father whereas Zade looks like their mother. But they had shared features between both parents.