chapter forty-five

Her eyes closed and her head collapsed on me, we had a maximum of thirty seconds to get out of here before the place blew into a million pieces

Her eyes closed and her head collapsed on me, we had a maximum of thirty seconds to get out of here before the place blew into a million pieces. "Stay with me," I begged, racing through the puddled hallway, my mind was in a haze, and when I spotted the exit a second away from us, a new string of hope shined.

Finally, the exit loomed ahead, a doorway to potential safety. Raindrops clung to Aia's unconscious form, a silent testament to the battle we fought against nature and time. The car, a distant silhouette through the rain, promised escape but also held the weight of the unknown.

I quickened my pace, each step more determined than the last. The world outside the warehouse was a blurry haze of rain and shadows. With tender urgency, I laid Aia in the backseat of our car, her pale face a stark contrast to the darkness surrounding us.

The engine roared to life, and the tires squealed against the wet pavement as I sped away from the warehouse, leaving behind the ticking bomb and the echoes of danger. In the rear view mirror, the warehouse dwindled into the storm, a fading memory of a perilous chapter.

Even though she wasn't breathing too good, I know she's gonna be okay, she's my girl, she can't leave me.

I made so many plans for our first Christmas together, for her birthday and for the day I'm going to propose to her. I can't lose the woman i consider to be the love of my life, my future wife and the mother of all my children.

The relentless downpour mirrored the tumult within as I raced through the city streets toward the hospital, Aia's unconscious form lying beside me. Fear gnawed at my insides, each raindrop a chilling reminder of the fragility of life. The emergency room entrance emerged like a lifeline in the dark night, and I carried Aia inside, her limp body a heavy burden on my heart.

The medical team whisked her away, leaving me stranded in the sterile waiting room. The cold tiles beneath my feet seemed to mock the warmth that was slipping away. Panic clung to me like a shroud, and I found myself pacing, haunted by the fear of losing Aia, the realization hitting me like a lightning bolt.

"She's been shot," I whispered to the medical team, my voice betraying the turmoil within.The waiting room became a purgatory of uncertainty, the rain outside intensifying with each passing moment. Every second that ticked by felt like an eternity, the rhythmic drumming on the windows echoing the anxious beat of my heart.

Finally, a weary doctor approached, their eyes reflecting the gravity of the situation. "Your wife is in critical condition. The gunshot wounds are severe, and we're doing everything we can."

As I sat in that sterile waiting room, the realization hit me with brutal clarity – I couldn't bear the thought of losing Aia. The fear of a life without her gnawed at me, and in that somber moment, I understood the depth of my feelings. Love, a revelation born in the crucible of chaos, surfaced like an awakening storm within me.