2 - Virginia

Will drove a pickup, but his older sister drove a Mom car

Will drove a pickup, but his older sister drove a Mom car. Lana pulled up to the curb in an over-sized SUV. He threw his bags in the back and climbed in the front seat. "How many kids do you have?"

Lana laughed. "Sometimes two and sometimes half the neighborhood." She smiled. "You look good, kid."

"Thanks. I guess."

She turned to him with a narrow glaze only for a moment as she inched into the line of cars leaving Dulles Airport.

"So after school is dance. Charlotte wants Uncle Will to come see her."

He silently groaned, but nodded his head. "Is Liam playing any sports?"

"We've tried, but he's a one sport kid. They are both in swimming lessons. Liam likes it more than he admits."

"I thought they could swim."

She chuckled. "They are both fish, but they're learning technique and diving."

"Can't dive in your pool."

"They know. Ryan's like a broken record."

"How's the old guy doing?"

"He's great. If you call him old, he'll deck you."

Will laughed. "I'd like to see him try."

Lana cleared her throat. "Have you, um, talked to Mom lately?"

"I talk to them at least once a week, but sometimes I time it so only Dad is home. Why?"

"She's been talking about retiring, but she's not sure where they want to live."

"Live? Like selling the house?"

"Uh-huh. She keeps talking about Maine, but maybe a place for the winter."

He tried to hold back a giggle. "Not Virginia."

"Yes. Since she'll only ever have two grandchildren."

"Don't write me off yet."

"But she had you late in life and if you wait until you're thirty like me then she'll be too old."

"Take out the damn violins."

"The woman deserves an Oscar."

"I'm glad Buffalo has snow."

"They wouldn't want to move there. No grandkids, remember."

"Right." He wanted to have kids, but knew it wouldn't be easy. "What does Ryan say?"

"He's more chill than me, but he'll change his tune when it happens."

Oddly he always thought of Massachusetts as home even though he rarely went back. It would always be where he grew up and went to school, but he wanted a home-base. Buffalo was a great place, but without Hailey it felt like the place he worked.