25 - Offense

Will moved as fast as he could around the people when he heard Kat at the door. One minute he was gloating slightly about being right, the next panic took over. He was thinking like the man ultimately liable.

When he saw the asshole pin Kat, his only concern was her. Thankfully, his wingman was right behind him. The urge to protect her was strong, and he heard his heart beating in his ears over the din of the crowd socializing.

After he returned to his table, and Mike started singing, he could smell her scent. It was garlic, but also something nice. Internally chastising himself, he turned his focus to Mike. Cole pulled Anna in as he dedicated a song to his daughter.

The evening had been full of surprises with Kat's pasta special and the salad she made for him. It tasted better than the salad they served at the inn for lunch. The flavor of the pesto shrimp and lemony dressing complemented each other. He couldn't deny Kat had talent. Will wouldn't push back if she wanted to add salads to the menu.

Mike dedicated his last song to his wife. When he finished, everyone clapped with a few whistles bouncing around. "Thanks. You've been great. I'll be back in June with the wonderfully talented Lana Harris. Weather permitting we'll set up outside. I know we had to turn people away, but I represent the fire department and safety first." Cheers went up from some of his friends from the station.

As Mike told everyone to drive safely, Will wished one of them could have been the bouncer instead of Kat. Mike must have thought something similar because he put down his guitar and walked to Kat who stood by the door as customers filed out.

Will watched as she shook her head. She had changed into shorts and her hair was down. He didn't realize it had a wave to it, nor had he noticed her legs before. The last thing he needed was to notice feminine things about his employee. Still, he walked over to her. A spicy floral scent had replaced the garlic scent.

"I'm an EMT. The least I can do is make sure you weren't hurt. Does it hurt when you breathe in?"

She took a deep breath. "No. I'm fine. I enjoyed your music."

He smiled. "I enjoyed your pasta."

Her cheeks turned a hue of pink. "Thanks."

Will had noticed she was shy about compliments. "My salad was incredible. You should add it to the menu."

More pink. "I want to. Maybe I'll name it for you."

Will chuckled. "Like Rick's coffee?"

She nodded while Mike chuckled. "I have to pack up."

Will looked around; the place had emptied. Even Mari was gone. Kat looked at him. "Can I talk to you?"

He nodded as she led him to the backroom. "What's up?"

"Things aren't going well with me and the man."

Will hated that name more than invisaboss. "Why?"

"He's changing his mind about the addition. Well, not completely. He wants me to commit to staying."

"Do you want to leave?"

"I will if he shoots down all my ideas."

Will felt like a heel. "Devil's advocate, they build you a baking area and you get a better offer and give your notice."

She looked at her feet. "They hire a baker."

"As good as you?" She shrugged but refused to look at him. "They obviously know this isn't a restaurant."

"No, but I have ideas."

Will smiled. "If they are as good as the salad."

She finally looked up. "Some are better."