52 - Commencement

X-man had convinced Nick to celebrate graduation at his fraternity, so he walked around the house party. It was a kinder frat than the one the football players joined. People were talking about the arrest of the popular linebacker. The school was investigating the fraternity, and the rumors were they were shutting it down. So far no one knew the victim.

Trinity had stayed with Nick until her mother arrived the next morning. While her father demanded action by the administration, she and her mother packed her belongings. Trinity's trauma would affect her forever. Needing to channel his anger, Nick went to help carry suitcases to the car.

The sorority house was quiet. Everyone was asleep or at classes. Nick missed a lecture, but he didn't care. He had never skipped a class in four years.

She laid on her bed in a fetal position while her mother took pictures off her wall. No one spoke, except in harsh whispers. When one of her sorority sisters woke and asked what was happening, her mother said there was a family emergency and she was leaving school.

It was odd to Nick how easily people accepted things. Before long he heard a rumor that Trin's father was dying. Honestly, he doubted Trinity spread it. People believed what they wanted, so they didn't put her disappearance with the arrest. Just like the old Trinity, most people believed it was a false accusation.

Nick checked his anger as he sipped his warm beer. Trin's ex was in the corner feeling up a girl. He had to know the truth. It happened in his room. Did he believe his frat brother or his girlfriend? Nick knew the evidence revealed the truth.

He turned to find X when he nearly bumped into April. "Hey, you too?"

"You know, one last hurrah." She rolled her eyes.

"So you're off to Chapel Hill?"

"Yeah, I can't wait to get the hell out of Florida."

"Me too." Nick wondered if the disdain his fellow students had for victims of sexual assault was a Florida thing. The state had officially gone off the deep end with targeting gays and suppressing historical facts. His mother had been ranting to him over the phone.

Nick honestly thought it disappointed her that his and Sophie's graduations weren't on the same weekend. Megan would have happily volunteered to go to Boston instead of Florida. Peter would have come to see his sister.

Aunt Liz was putting his family up, but they were arriving late. Nick looked at his watch. He could drive over to his aunts to greet them, but everyone would be tired.

"Hey, good luck with med school."

"I'll miss you. You were a great lab partner."

He smiled. "You too. Keep in touch, doc."

She laughed. As he walked away, he decided he would miss some things. Once in his room, he sighed. Unlike Trinity, he didn't have things plastered all over his walls. Besides his clothes and electronics, he had very little. After one more night, his sheets belonged in the trash. He could start packing, but his mother was coming over first thing, before the commencement ceremony.

His gown hung on his wardrobe. He took a picture and sent it to Ivy. His phone buzzed. "Hey."

"Hey, yourself. How does it feel?"

"Like I've been waiting forever for it to get here."

"I'm glad you'll be home."

"Did my family get off okay?"

"I didn't get home until they were heading out. They stopped for dinner."

"Have you seen Kat?"

"Not yet. I heard she's doing better. Easter weekend she had dark circles under her eyes. Any word on Will?"