38 - No secrets

FEBRUARY

Will stepped into The Landing on Thursday afternoon, after waiting a long time to taste Kat's seafood stew. As he paid using his phone, Kat frowned sourly. "The man gave me crap about the price."

Feeling like a heel, he told her about his dinner with Nick. "It was only two dollars more at a fancy restaurant."

"It was probably a small bowl or cup."

The hot container in his hand was warm, and the fresh roll made his mouth water. He moved along because a line had formed behind him and none were his neighbors. Business continued to exceed expectations even on the coldest days.

The stew was creamy and rich. Definitely worth the wait. He waved at Lynn as she walked in. It said something when the manager of the fish market paid for her own products.

Lynn stood at his table. "Sorry you didn't make it to the Super Bowl. How was Hawaii?"

"It's okay. We played our best. Hawaii was fun."

The Pro Bowl was an honor and so he flew to Hawaii to enjoy the event. The game itself felt like a pick up game more fun than serious. No one played for very long. It was a great opportunity to hook up with others in the game. Guys brought their whole families but Will was there alone.

He sat with an empty bowl looking at the baking area. It looked like it belonged with the shiny stainless work table and ovens. The first thing Will did when he returned in January after losing in front of his father and Ryan was watch Kat bake. He had seen her work on TikTok, but in person it was amazing. She had emailed the man about accepting bakery orders - he felt schizophrenic. He had been weighing the pros and cons, but one item looked larger on the list. Keep Kat happy. She built up the menu, so The Landing would take a huge hit, if she left. They had reached the halfway point of her eighteen months.

"Look he's thinking!"

He looked up to see Rory and Sam. "Did you come to warm up?"

Sam laughed. "It's so good we would come on the hottest day of the summer."

"Except you'll be gone."

"Probably some place hot as Hades in the south."

"So last year?"

Sam nodded. "Yup, I already told my agent I didn't want to renew the contract."

"Rory, how's business?"

"Good. I love it. Have you heard Anna and Cole's news?"

He shook his head slowly. "Tell me he's drinking again."

Sam laughed. "Not while Anna can't."

"It hasn't been easy. She had a miscarriage, but she's six months along, so it's obvious. They can't keep him a secret."

"A boy. Good thing. Can you imagine him with a girl?"

Sam laughed and shook his head. "It's pretty exciting given Anna's past."

Will had been in the pool the day Cassie showed up and sent Anna into labor. Any feelings he still had for her evaporated on the spot leaving behind his own stupidity. Nick reminded him of himself when they met in Tampa.

Rory rubbed his shoulders. "It's in the past. Michaela is happy and healthy."

Will nodded, but he had seen her with her glasses and heard about her struggling in school. Amy had beamed as she said, "She's very artistic."

Jen said, "I was the same way."

Rory said, "Come over tomorrow night for cards. It's been too long."