54 - After all

Kat expected Will to show up after the contract arrived. Every time the bell rang she looked up even if she was taking hot trays out of the oven. She had a minor burn to show for her distraction. Running a kitchen, she burned herself regularly. Until recently, she didn't miss the pain. Squeezing her eyes shut, she tried to block out the memories of Will kissing her scars. He may have lied to her and stolen her trust, but he was a caring, unselfish sexual partner. She was kidding herself if that was all she lost, because he was her best friend.

When she read his offer, giving her full control of the business, it muted the sound bite she played in head about him trampling on her trust. That meant she could bake more or offer pizza if she wanted. Actually, that wasn't a bad idea. Slab pizza was popular and very easy to make. Something to think about when she wasn't so confused.

Kat resisted the urge to seek advice from her parents. They wanted her back in Boston and saw The Landing as a coffee and sandwich shop. In a year, she had proven it was so much more.

When Ed Pelletier came in for coffee early the following day, he smiled. "I'm waiting for the rain to stop. Eighteen holes is more fun in dry clothes.

"Big day for Nick."

The grandfather smiled. "I'm proud of him. Reminds me of his father. I heard you had a big day yesterday. I'd be happy to read it over with you. Although I doubt a deal like the one the kid offered would have hidden clauses."

Kat chuckled. Only about sex. As her tummy tightened, she tried to think of something other than naked Will, skin to skin. She felt warm all over.

Janice stepped out of the backroom. "I found the sugar packets."

Welcoming the distraction, Kat said, "I'm sitting down for a few minutes." She detoured to her baking area where she had left the contract.

Ed took his reading glasses out of his shirt pocket and took his time reading the cover letter. "Those of us who love Rick's legacy are grateful to him."

"I got the message. Just coffee."

Ed took a sip. "It's the best."

"Looks like he's looking for a twenty-four-month commitment. It's evergreen."

"What's that?"

"It will be renewed for another twenty-four, unless you issue notice. That's all fairly standard."

She wondered how involved Will was in the instruction or if he let his lawyer decide the terms. Ed kept reading. Periodically, he would nod. "Okay."

Finally, he looked up. "The cover letter says it all. There are a lot of words describing that profit is after all expenses."

Her last business partner took more than his share before they paid expenses, and Will was offering her his share legally. The irony stood out like the guys who wore shorts in January during record low temperatures. Crazy and totally unexpected. She nodded. "I understand basic business."

He chuckled. "You have mastered supply and demand."

"Isn't that economics?"

He tilted his head. "I suppose so. They are intertwined."

"So no tricks in there?"

He laughed and shook his head. "It looks like a pretty decent deal. I hope you stay. He protected this place by buying it, but you have made it a success."

"Thank you. I'm weighing my options."

"If you want to negotiate anything, I'll help you for free. You have been good to my grandkids. Nick speaks highly of you."