39 - BFF

Kat wasn't sure what to expect when she walked to Puffin Way with the container of cookies. She hadn't been to a friend's for dinner in a very long time. After the restaurant, she and Bryce didn't socialize often, even though they were off every Sunday. With time as perspective, she was guilty of taking her relationship for granted. Making time for Bryce had fallen way down on her list of priorities. She should have seen he was struggling. None of her failures justified him stealing from their business. She would never forgive him.

When she approached the cottage, Will's truck was in the driveway. She had thought about him more than she should, especially after the baking lesson the night before. If she was looking for sex, he would be her number one choice. Her body woke up as she slid down his hard chest and abs, but she needed her libido to go back to sleep.

Rory answered the door with a bright smile. "Kat, I'm so glad you could come."

"I made cookies." She held out the container.

"Now I'm twice as happy you're here."

"I helped."

Kat knew the voice which called out from around the corner. She shook her head. "Don't worry he really didn't."

Rory laughed. "You two are adorable."

"Oh no, we're not."

"Why not?" She lowered her voice. "He's got a great bod."

"I learned my lesson the hard way. I don't do relationships."

Rory frowned. "If you want to talk, I'm happy to listen. As a friend, free of charge."

"I'm good. Work keeps me happy."

Will rounded the corner. "What are you two whispering about?"

Rory pushed on his chest. "If we wanted you to know, we wouldn't be whispering."

Kat wished she could touch Will so casually and not be affected. She followed the other two towards the garlic scented kitchen. "It smells delicious."

"Sam's nonna taught him all the family recipes. Tonight he made braciole and pasta."

"Wow. I'm impressed."

Sam smiled, and Will handed her a glass of wine. "I heard it's very good."

She smiled because she had sent him a list of choice wines. As she sipped, she held back the memories. She and Bryce splurged and toasted their first full house after service was over. Forcing a smile, she said, "It's delicious."

The backdoor opened and Sam's brother walked in. Will turned his attention to the newcomers. "Congratulations! Ana, you look great."

"Thanks Will. I'm glad you're back, we missed you."

Cole shook his hand. "You had a great season even though your team didn't pull off the win. I blame the wind."

The weather wasn't in their favor, so they ran the ball instead of long passes. Will had some yardage with short passes, but it was too risky to throw the ball. "I did what I could."

Sam said, "I hope you're hungry."

Rory laughed. "Will is always hungry."

Anna smiled at Kat. "I'm glad you came. Will's a great guy."

Tired of denying it, she blurted, "I thought he stole Cole's girlfriend."

The room went quiet, and she tasted smelly socks. Rory cut the tension. "We don't talk about that bitch."

Anna nodded. "Definitely not." She touched her belly and Cole possessively put his hands on hers.

"How long have you been together?"