46 - Timing

Nick sighed and looked at Ivy. "Why is it so slow?" They were sitting in seats drinking coffee.

"There are no specials and it's raining. I'd rather eat peanut butter and jelly before going out in this icy rain."

"We have to go home in it."

Ivy laughed. "Sophie will pick us up. Hey, what happened to you and the trinket."

Nick tried to hide his smile. "I thought you were kind."

"I am, but from what I heard she was not good enough for you."

Nick laughed. "She is very popular. My popularity is limited to freshmen and sophomores in my dorm. They tamper with their door locks so I have to let them in."

Ivy covered her mouth and laughed. "I would be just like them."

"Do you have someone you're interested in at school?"

"No silly. I meant if you were my RA."

"Ivy."

"Nick." She glared at him. "You never told me what happened."

"It would have happened by graduation, but she was rude to one of my friends and I realized that she really wasn't nice."

"So you broke up with her?"

"Yup. She's been dating a jerk from the football team. He's the type of guy who gets girls drunk and who knows what he does."

"That's awful."

"I know, but I have no proof. A girl was raped on my campus."

"Yeah. It was in the news."

"No one knows this, but I saw her and stopped her after it happened."

Ivy's eyes got big. "You did?"

"Yeah, she was obviously drunk and crying so I asked her to sit. Then I texted my boss. She was just a kid."

"Like Keira."

He made a fist on the table. "Yeah." Ivy covered his fist with her hand. "Trinity blamed the girl."

"That's sick. I'm glad you dumped her."

"Me too, but the timing isn't right."

Ivy chuckled. "Seriously? Does that mean you like me, but not at the moment? Nick, I've liked you forever."

Her admission wasn't a surprise. Sophie had told him. "You have another year in New Hampshire. I need to concentrate on grad school and starting a career."

"We can still date. Look at Kat and Will, he'll be gone for six months."

"But I don't want a serious relationship until I'm thirty. I don't think you are looking for fun."

"I'm not trisket"

He gritted his teeth. "Ivy."

"I'll be nice about Trinity, but I want something in return."

"What?"

"A kiss. A real one."

Nick's jaw dropped. "We're working."

"And it's so busy. We have fifteen minutes. In the backroom, then we can text Sophie."

"What will it prove?"

"Prove? I don't want to prove anything. I want the kiss that should have come with all our lunch dates."

"As tourists?"

"Yes." She stood with her hand on her hip. "Couples on vacation kiss. What are you afraid of?"

A lot. Liking it. Not liking it. "I'm, um, not afraid."