6 - The best two

APRIL

Will smiled as he looked at the screen in front of him. Rick Jablonski was on Zoom. They had scheduled interviews for the manager position. Will's camera was off, and Rick sat too close to the screen.

The first candidate appeared. Gary had long hair. Rick explained he was retiring and The Landing, LLC owned the business. The deal had gone through a few days before, and the new millionaire had agreed to stay on until a replacement was hired and trained.

Will stayed silent (anonymous) as Rick questioned his work history. "I work at 7-Eleven."

"Do you have experience in food preparation?"

"We sell food."

Will spoke up. "Isn't it reheated frozen food?"

"Yeah, but I know what temperature to keep it at and when to throw it out."

Rick nodded. "Food safety is important. Have you managed people?"

He froze for a moment. "I'm kind of in charge of my band."

Will smiled. He looked like a rocker. "What instrument do you play?"

"Guitar, man."

He deserved the man since he hadn't introduced himself. Rick thanked him and waited for him to click off. Will clicked his camera on. "At least we have four more."

Martha, the second one had sandwich shop experience, but no managerial or ordering expertise. Somewhere in her fifties, she was friendly and would get along with everyone. Again the two spoke briefly. Rick said, "I'd hire her to work behind the counter, but not run things."

"We'll need someone." Will knew their manager couldn't work the hours Rick had.

"At least Nick and Ivy are coming back, but Sophie isn't."

Will shook his head. "I can't believe the twins are so old."

"They have another year of college. Nick wants to go to grad school just like his old man." Rick laughed. "I must be ancient if I'm calling Peter old."

"Forty is the new thirty." Will stole the line from Ryan.

His brother-in-law had been guiding him through the tedious process of setting up a business. Between red tape and his workouts, he hardly saw his friends. In the midst of it, he moved into his condo which required furniture, but Jen offered to help as a thank you for saving The Landing.

The third candidate had appeared over qualified on paper, Katherine had attended culinary school at a community college and had worked as a chef in restaurants. Most recently, she had cooked for a restaurant in a Boston neighborhood. "Why did you leave the restaurant?" Will asked right away.

She looked towards his box on the screen which was a picture of The Landing. "The manager mismanaged it and it closed."

"The Landing isn't a restaurant. You are overqualified." Rick shared Will's concerns.

"I'm looking for a new experience and location. I enjoy baking and I like the beach."

"You would need to relocate?" Will felt skeptical. Portland was a foodie town. How long before she dumped them to work at a restaurant in the Old Port? Oliver might even steal her.

"I would need to find a place to rent."

Maybe if her rental was tied to her job, she would have the incentive to stay. He hadn't decided what to do with the apartment Rick and Alice had lived in for more than thirty years. It was in good condition although it looked like seventy-year-olds lived there. They did and hadn't moved into their new cottage yet. Alex had assured him that once it was empty, it would only need some cosmetic work. He had kept the building in good repair.