36 - Merry Christmas

DECEMBER

Kat started a countdown to Christmas on the first of December. Everyone said things were slow on The Point in the winter, but The Landing had done a good business through November. Her menu items and baked goods brought customers in the door, but they bought other sandwiches too.

Kerry had email concerns about the price of the seafood stew, but it sold out in record time the second month. Word had spread. Even Will texted asking for her to make it in February. Kat smiled, because he would be home soon. She looked up his schedule and knew he could be home sooner depending on how his team did in the playoffs.

She put the finishing touches on chocolate peppermint cupcakes. After snapping a picture, she posted it to The Landing's social accounts.

"Gavin. Get ready."

"Okay. Ms. Kat."

Gavin worked the register. For a young man on the autism spectrum, he did a good job. Her biggest worry when she hired him was he wouldn't be personable, but he was in his own way. Occasionally, she stepped in when shades of gray were required, instead of black and white. Martha and Janice both loved him. Kat hoped Nick and Ivy would too.

Everyone who came in for a cupcake talked about the weather. The last she heard they were getting rain. When Nick's mom stopped for three cupcakes, Kat motioned her over.

She smiled. "Nick can't wait to come home for break."

"Did I miss something about the weather?"

Megan nodded. "The track has shifted, so we're supposed to get more snow. With the winds there's a chance for power outages and the causeway could flood. It might limit you to residents on Saturday night."

"No one will come in a storm."

"Not during the height of it, but after. You'll see."

On Saturday she planned to serve a choice of pan seared scallops or chicken with a cranberry chutney. Ordering was a tricky process in winter weather. The gingerbread cake she could sell later.

When Will texted her about the cupcakes, she called him. "You busy?"

"Salivating over a picture."

Laughing, she said, "I'm sure there are bakeries near you."

"I'm not eating sugar. Remember?"

"Right. I'm worried about the weather."

"Don't worry. Everyone goes to The Landing during a storm."

"But if the road closes?"

"Cook for The Point. I don't know. Have a special dinner when it opens on Sunday or Monday."

"Two days!"

"Probably not. It depends on the tides."

She sighed. "I'll have no help." Only Nick and Sophie lived on The Point and they were both at school.

"Ask Martha to sleep over. Doesn't she like time away from her husband?"

"She hits on young men like a single woman."

Will laughed. "I know. She's worse than Ivy's mom."

"Maybe. I'll talk to her. Thanks."

"Anytime."

Kat smiled. Ivy was not like her mother. Kat liked to listen to her on Wednesday mornings. As she baked, she learned a lot of secrets. She knew Mike's daughter was pregnant although it wasn't public knowledge. As much as Kristi entertained her, she enjoyed when Dan Probst stopped in. He was quiet and rational much like his daughter. The friendly man updated her on Ivy and wished her a good day.