35 - For good

NOVEMBER

Like groundhog day, Trinity wanted to go to a party and Nick wanted a low key night, but agreed to the whole costume thing with her. He dressed as a surgeon and she was a sexy nurse. Unfortunately, she was off with her friends, a sexy cat, a sexy vampire, and a sexy co-ed (yes, she bought a costume). Once again he was alone. As he wandered, he bumped into a girl from his major.

"Hey April." He looked at her Buffalo shirt. "Are you a fan or a player?"

She shrugged. "Either. I hate dressing up. So this was easy." She looked him over. "Are you going to med school?"

"Nah, just grad school. Hopefully."

"Smart. You'll get in. I'm in for the long haul."

"Not me. My dad has a Ph.D. I might follow in his footsteps, but it depends on where I end up working."

"What does he do?"

He held his chin higher. "Cancer research."

"That's cool." She looked around. "I'm not sure why I'm here."

He laughed. "I know why but I don't want to be."

"Where's your girlfriend?"

Did everyone know he was with Trinity? He shrugged. "Around someplace."

She chuckled. "I always wonder what you have to talk about."

He laughed. "Not mitochondrial RNA. Do you like Buffalo?"

She chuckled. "I'm wearing a hundred dollar jersey."

"Right. I'm going to the game."

"You're a Tampa fan?"

"No. I'll root for Buffalo although I'm a New England boy."

"I didn't peg you as a zealous sports fan. Going to games that aren't your team."

"I like football. I'm a Drake fan."

"Our wide receiver? He's great, but why him?"

Nick smiled. "He's a friend. He sent me tickets."

Her jaw dropped. "You're friends with this guy." She took out her phone and showed him a picture of Will catching the ball."

"Yeah. I've seen him catch on the beach a million times."

"Like in the NSPN special? Everyone in Buffalo watched it."

"Yeah. If you look hard, you can see me in it."

"No way."

"I know the guy who films those."

"The rumor is it was a school project."

Nick nodded. "Yeah. His senior project, but the network offered him a job. He travels around for six months. I'm friends with his sister."

"I knew you were cool, but I'm impressed."

"Just lucky to live where I do."

"Did you apply to Tampa?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm going home. I miss winter."

She laughed. "I'm from way upstate New York, I hate snow."

"What med schools did you apply to?" She listed all southern schools. "You don't miss your family?"

"No. We're not close." A girl approached with two solo cups. "Where have you been?"

She rolled her eyes. "I got waylaid, and the line was long. All the skimpy girls kept cutting."