4 - Home

Will sat in the middle row of Maddie's equally big SUV. Ryan sat up front with Jack. The two kids were in the way back.

"JP wanted to come, but I told him we wouldn't have room."

Lana smiled next to him. "Blame it on Will."

Jack chuckled. "My eldest is excited to see your brother. I heard something about cards at their cottage."

Will bit his tongue before he commented about him and the two couples. He started to annoy himself with all his whining.

"Jack, can you drop me and Rye at The Landing? We NEED coffee."

Jack laughed, but Will added, "Me too."

"We'll come find our kids, eventually."

"No worries there. Mom and Rory are part of the welcoming committee."

"Can we go to the beach, Dad?" Liam begged.

"With the football," Will added.

"Yes, yes, yes!" Liam chanted.

The adults just laughed. "I'm glad you're here. We've missed you," Jack added.

Lana's family had gone to Maine for Christmas, but Will hadn't been since July.

Jack looked in the rearview mirror. "Will, you had a good season."

"It would have been better if I hadn't missed those games."

"How's the knee now?"

"Good. Thanks." He answered that question a lot. How long would the announcers evaluate his performance based on his knee? Injured knee was a label he would never shake.

As they crossed the causeway, he felt his lungs open up. Ryan put down his window and the chilled ocean air drifted into the backseat. Unlike his sister, the strip of beach on the Atlantic had never been his actual home, but it felt like a homecoming. Jack stopped the car in the parking lot and the three adults jumped out.

Lana called, "Anyone want a cup?"

"We had ours hours ago."

It was almost eleven. Will liked how some things never changed. Jack and Maddie running together in the morning. The weather-beaten exterior of the store/coffee heaven. Maybe the cracks in the worn asphalt could use an upgrade, but Will felt happy as the bell announced their arrival.

Rick looked up from behind the counter and smiled. The man had aged and his weathered face looked tired. A ball of tension planted itself in his gut, but lessened as the old man bantered with Lana.

With three cups of coffee poured, Ryan winked. "Let the wide receiver pay. He's loaded."

Will laugh. Ryan was doing just fine himself, especially since sitting at a desk was a lot less dangerous. He didn't care as he took out his credit card.

"You can tap now."

Will looked up. "You have Apple pay too."

"Yeah, now Ryan doesn't have to bring his credit card on his morning runs."

The runs that always ended in the coffee line. Will took his first sip and remembered why he wasn't a regular coffee drinker. During the season, he didn't drink it at all. No coffee tasted as good as Rick's.

Lana and Ryan stepped towards the door. "Will, coming?"

"Um, I'll catch up."

Rick smiled. "Is the knee okay?"

Will laughed. "Yup. Do you know of anyone looking to sell?"

Rick frowned. "I just got one myself. Alex is doing some work on it."