34 - Self centered

OCTOBER

Nick felt the sweat on his back as he huffed back to his dorm after his lab. In Maine, the leaves were changing and there was a crispness to the air. He would hear all about it when he saw his grandparents the next day. They were flying into Tampa and taking him out to dinner before driving to the Evans' house.

Looking at his phone, he frowned. Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. He followed The Landing on Instagram, but Abbie had snapped a pic of her cookie with one word Jelly? Yes, he was very jealous, but not for the cookie.

There were texts from Trinity. She wanted to party, but he had hoped to take her out to dinner. All sex didn't make a relationship. He thought of his lunches with Ivy. They talked, like really talked in a way he and Trinity never did. He kept in touch with her just like he did with Ben. She had gone home for a weekend to cover for Kat on a Sunday so their boss could go to the football game. Nick shouldn't complain because he had tickets to see Will when he came to Tampa. It was odd how he had become friends with the football player, but Will had hung out at The Landing a lot. Martha teased Kat, but Nick was pretty sure she and Will were just friends like him and Ivy.

Will had helped him research The Landing Investment Group, but their searches led back to an anonymous trust. Whoever owned The Landing wanted to stay anonymous. Nick was convinced it was someone on The Point. Who had enough money? His grandfather. Jack Harris. Matthew Clark. Even Ryan Harris. Mr. Currier. Mr. Thompson too. It could be a combination, but Nick was ninety percent sure his dad wasn't involved, but Alex could be. It was enough to give him a headache.

"Why are you frowning?" Trinity appeared out of nowhere. If they weren't dating, she would feel like a stalker.

Shaking his head, he said, "It's nothing."

She clung around his waist with both arms. "Your class goes forever."

"Labs are that way." He had stopped explaining long ago. "Do you want to grab a pizza?"

"Before the party?"

"Can't it be a date night? Just us?"

"Tomorrow? We can hang tomorrow."

He shook his head. "I told you my grandparents are taking me to dinner."

"On Friday night?" She wrinkled her nose.

"They're flying into Tampa. It wasn't my choice, but I'm looking forward to seeing them." Anyone from home, but growing up he, Sophie and Abbie had countless sleepovers at the house on the beach.

"Then let's party tonight."

"Okay. Fine, but don't leave me."

Except for his friend X-Man, frat kids didn't hang out in science labs. Unfortunately, X belonged to a different house. Nick felt out of place at the parties Trin loved. By graduation, Trinity would have lived her college years to the fullest, while Nick had given his all academically with no regrets.

Instead of pizza, they had dinner in the dining hall and Nick followed Trinity to sit at a table of girls.

"It's Trin and Nick."

"You two are so cute."

They sounded like Sophie talking about Ben and Keira. His relationship was nothing like his friends. His had an expiration date of May, and Ben was saving for a diamond ring.

Trinity picked the cucumber out of his salad. Ignoring it, he could live without one slice. It wasn't as good as Kat's salads even when he made them.

"So tonight is going to be the best party."