24 - The man

Kat's first week had been full of ups and downs. In fact, it felt like a month not six days. She was excited about the coffeehouse, until the invisaboss emailed going back on his agreement for the porch. Not back completely, but he wanted a commitment from her. A guarantee she would stay for eighteen months. Without a baker, the investment would be a waste. A valid point, but they could hire another baker.

When she called earlier in the week, her parents were encouraging her to come home. The problems which led her to accept the job hadn't changed. There were no jobs for her in Boston, and living with her parents wasn't an option. She hadn't watched a cartoon since she arrived in Maine.

The thing that upset her the most was the invisible part. Someone was spying on her. Also in the ultimatum email, the man demanded Rick and Alice receive free coffee. Not demanded, but didn't ask either. The group of men had discussed the courtesy for the former owner. One of those older guys must be the investor, maybe even more than one. She liked John Harris, but thought of him as a narc. One minute it was stop advertising the entertainment and the next it was give free coffee. Even Nick made her feel like a fool over the latte machine. He didn't mean to. Perhaps she should give a few demands of her own if she were to agree to a year and a half. A latte machine might have her out on her ass, if not it certainly wouldn't help her fit in with the locals. It was unanimous, just coffee.

Refusing to respond in haste, she convinced herself to enjoy the evening. A stream of excitement coursed through her at the thought of cooking again. She had never worked a traditional job, but most business people took the weekend off. She wished the man would take a long vacation and leave her alone.

There wasn't a lull between breakfast and lunch on Saturday. Kat worked with only a brief break in the afternoon when Nick and Ivy held down the fort. She wished she had a chalkboard and good handwriting, but she would have to settle for a printed sign.

Kat's Pesto Pasta $16

Add chicken $5

Add shrimp $8

Add lobster $10

While supplies last.

She purchased nice disposable plates to serve it on, along with an Asiago breadstick. Once she had the equipment, she could bake her own.

When she brought the menu down, Nick and Ivy were laughing. Hopefully, not at her. "I want to talk about tonight. You can rotate between the board and register. I'll be busy cooking." With a broad smile, she held up the paper."

The two looked at each other and Ivy smiled first. "We should post this."

Kat shook her head. "We got in trouble for the last post about tonight."

Nick frowned. "It's always a full house without advertising, even in January."

"Are you going to tell me people won't appreciate a proper meal tonight?"

"No, they will. I think it's a great idea. Let's hope invisaboss agrees."

"Do you know who he is?" She eyes each of them.

They shook their heads. "I wish. My investigation has turned up nothing." Nick shrugged.

Ivy laughed. "He's not giving up."

Kat smiled. "Let me know when you figure it out."

"Maybe it's Trista Montgomery. She stayed at the inn and came over for a lobster roll and coffee. Then she wrote about it in an article for Beantown Magazine on weekend trips near Boston.