56 - Can't

Three years later.

MARCH

Will sat on the lounge chair at the resort in St. Croix and smiled at Kat.

"How was your swim?" She giggled.

"It was amazing. So have you decided?"

"Your mother will hate us."

He didn't think her mother would like it either. Both their mothers were type A, but his was type A plus, plus, plus. Lana came up with that line, but he liked it.

"We could celebrate later, but I don't want the fuss. Kat, I want to be married to you."

Kat wore an enormous diamond on her left hand. Although she wore it sitting in her bikini looking totally sexy, she didn't wear it often over the two years she owned it. She didn't wear it to cook or bake so it sat in the cottage most of the time. Although Will's house in Buffalo had signs of Kat all over it, from the gadgets in the kitchen to lingerie in the dresser drawers, their cottage was their home. After Alex finished, it was as nice as Lana's, but without the pool.

Kat winked at Will. "Maybe, you can convince me back in the room."

He chuckled. "I can work on it before and after dinner."

Kat stood. "I'm ready."

They had only arrived that afternoon. The Landing had proven to be a profitable business and Kat trusted Abbie Brenner to handle things while she was away. During his season, Kat visited but refused to miss a Saturday night. In January, Kat got stuck in Buffalo. Abbie had to cover on a Saturday night, and it went okay, so Kat agreed to a vacation.

It wasn't a snowstorm that kept Kat in Buffalo, but Will had to wait to be cleared medically before they could drive home together.

It had started in December, Will wished, he had someone in the stands just for him. He looked at his phone. Ryan always texted before a game. His dad texted too, so he knew they were watching.

There was one more text. Like a virus he was afraid to click on it. What did Hailey want? The last time he saw her was on a visit to the pediatric unit. Visiting sick kids was part of the job.

At the game. I'll be rooting for you.

He replied, How will you know if I do well?

She sent laughing emojis. I know more than that!

Loving Kat made him realize that what he had with Hailey would never have been enough. The hurt wasn't even a memory. He had no emotional ties to her, but it was nice to know someone was at the game beyond his fans.

They came out for the second half with the lead. Teams played hard all season but in December everyone wanted a playoff spot. Will was no different. He wouldn't let up. Every time the QB put the ball in the air, he wanted to be open to catch it.

Will turned to see the ball heading for him. He didn't take his eye off it although he kept waiting for a defender. A clean catch and a few extra yards was all they needed to convert third down and long in a tied game.

The ball landed in his hand and he tucked it in. Turning to get past the marker, he felt a hit and his feet went out from under him. The next thing, he knew faces were hovering over him. "Will, Will..."

Why was everything blurry? He shut his eyes. "Will! Look at me!"

He tried to focus. He wanted to get up on his feet as he tried to lift his head. It weighed one-hundred pounds. "Lie still."

He heard the words they all feared, the cart. "I'm okay." Just tired.

Will woke up in an ambulance. All he had done was catch the ball. Time jumped, and he was in a hospital bed hooked up to an IV. The doctor asked him stupid questions like his name.