30 - Womb mate

JULY

As Nick sat at dinner with his family, Abbie asked if they were going to get fresh cookies. Megan sighed. "I can make cookies. We don't need to fight the crowds for every sweet they offer."

"I'm happy to avoid the place for a day."

Peter looked at him. "Is work not going well?"

"It is but everyone needs a day off. Kat's great."

Sophie nodded. "She's really nice. I agreed to work a couple of dinners to help out."

Nick felt his phone vibrate in his pocket, but it was against family rules to answer it. "I wonder if Ben's around tonight."

Sophie shook her head. "He and Keira were going with Rory to Cole and Anna's for dinner."

"What's the occasion?" Megan asked.

"Just to keep Rory busy while Sam's away."

Megan smiled. "Did you know when Sam moved here he and Cole didn't get along?"

"Really?" Sophie loved a good story.

"Nope. As you can imagine, it was hard on the boys to suddenly be living with a blended family."

Nick blurted, "Good thing you two got back together." His parents frowned, and he regretted his words.

After a moment, Peter smiled. "Take that as a lesson. Even when you're adults, you can still be stupid. Love brought us back together. Focus on that."

Sophie said, "Rick always compared Sam and Rory and then Ben and Keira to you. I hope Ben and Keira never breakup."

Megan said, "I hope they wait a while before they get married."

"I'm building my career first." Sophie sat up. "I'll have kids in my thirties."

Nick smiled. "Don't worry I'm not getting married. I'm going to grad school here in Maine."

Megan smiled. "I won't complain."

Peter laughed. "I'll support you so you can finish quicker than I did."

Abbie asked to be excused, and everyone followed. Nick put his plate in the dishwasher and pulled out his phone. Ten messages from Trinity asking about her birthday.

He looked up to see his father looking at him. Peter reached into the fridge and pulled out a bottle of Shipyard Summer. "Nicky?"

"Sure. Why not?"

Peter nodded. "Let's sit on the porch."

"I was gonna help with the dishes."

"I got it, Nick. We can walk to the beach after your drink."

He looked at his twin and felt her kindness in his chest. "Okay, thanks Soph."

Once they sat, Peter took a long sip. "I love summer."

"It's the best." His tone couldn't convince a pig to like mud.

"Then why are you so down?"

"Not down, really."

"If you're working too much, cut back on hours. You know I'll send you a few bucks if you're broke."

Nick had no problem with his grandfather paying his tuition, but he liked to take care of himself. "No. It's not that. Trinity is putting pressure on me to go to her birthday. I don't want to leave The Point. It's bad enough I have another year in Florida."

"I thought you liked school."

"I did until last year. I wish I had transferred but now it's too late."