42 - Chef

Kat walked away from Will into the bathroom. Her head pounded and her belly churned. Drinking was a stupid mistake. Drinking with Will was a fucking stupid mistake. Stripping off her clothes she stepped into a cool shower. Although she didn't remember it, she kissed Will. What a curse to make the mistake without knowing if she enjoyed it.

After turning off the water, she wrapped her towel around her. Stepping out, she hoped Will was gone as she sprinted to her room. Dressed in jeans and a tee shirt, because her ovens were warm, she went to start the coffee and unlock the door. Ignoring her head, she hadn't worked hungover in years.

Mourning Pops and finding his cottage in the same day, Bryce's phone call and drinking with Will. She kissed him. Oh God, she puked. Mortified, she hoped he stayed away for a week.

When she rounded the corner out of the storeroom she jumped. He stood by the coffee machine. Panting with her hand on her chest, she said, "What are you doing?"

"I was looking to see if I could figure out the machine. I couldn't find the on-switch."

"You don't know the coffee recipe and you're not going to. I signed a contract."

He put his hands up. "I get it. Please make the coffee to push the poison out of my body."

As she stepped toward the machine, he grabbed her arm and gently pulled her into him. "Do you feel better?" He kissed her forehead.

She didn't like the flutters when he held her and pushed him away before she wondered what his kiss felt like.

He walked to the other side of the counter and waited for the first pot to brew. She poured a cup for herself before pouring his cup. He drank his black, but she added cream.

"How does your belly feel? I can run up to MickyD's and get you a hash brown or two."

Greasy food helped to soak up the poison. "Would you?"

"For you. I'll get a big breakfast. I'm starving."

Before she answered he was gone out the door. Five minutes later her first customer came in at six on the dot. Coffee and the muffins, which Martha set out before she left, all thawed and ready to go.

Saturday mornings started slow, and she stood staring at the door when she should have been setting out ingredients to prepare to bake. Fuzzy memories hovered out of reach.

When Will walked in holding up a bag, she asked, "Did you sleep in my bed?"

He stopped walking. "You begged me not to leave you."

Covering her face with her hands, she mumbled. "This is awful."

"Everything will feel better after this." He pulled out the deep fried potato patty. "Come sit, the place is empty."

"Because normal people sleep on Saturday mornings."

She shuffled her feet. Once she sat, Will handed her the hash brown. Her second bite quickly followed her first. "Mmmm."

Will dug into scrambled eggs. Kat couldn't take her eyes off his sausage patties. "Here have one."

She grabbed it with her fingers. The salty fat tasted like heaven. "I haven't eaten food like this in years."

"Not since college for me. There's another hash brown for you. Save one for me."

"You're eating greasy carbs?"

He smiled. "Only because I drank last night."

"So you don't remember either?"

Will smiled. "Honey, I remember every moment. You drank twice as much as me. Your ex did a number on you. I'm so glad you took this job and came to Maine." He reached for her hand.