29 - Chef to chef

"We're here drinking wine together." Will defended their friendship.

"We are. I was kidding. I, um, haven't had a lot of friends I could trust." Just George.

She had set out for a walk because Bryce had texted her. She couldn't respond to him; it was her lawyer's job. He said he was clean and wanted to talk. Hopefully, he didn't know she left Massachusetts.

Kat set out angry, like she had been when her world crumbled around her. As she walked, she thought about the plans she had for The Landing and felt better. Kat still didn't trust the investors, but the man had been more reasonable since she agreed to stay for eighteen months.

She teased Will. "The wine isn't half bad either, like your friendship."

"Thanks a lot. I'm a little like Nick, because all my friends are busy working. Sam's traveling. I talked to Rory tonight for the first time in a week."

"So I'm just who's around."

He shook his head. "I wouldn't say that. I genuinely like you."

Her eyes grew big. "I'm not looking. You can't..." Not that he wasn't sexy as hell.

Will frowned. "I didn't mean like that, but your response is almost insulting."

"I didn't mean to insult you. I have a job to do. You're leaving. Plus, I heard someone say you had a girlfriend." She looked him up and saw pictures of him with the same girl.

He shook his head. "I'm single."

Was there a hint of sadness in his response? "Just friends."

He nodded. "Friend who gets an advanced preview of the menu?"

She sighed. "Persistent. There will be a salad for you, jock." Spinach salad with fresh strawberries, goat cheese and walnuts topped with a balsamic vinaigrette. "You can choose either chicken or scallops."

"From Evan's?"

"That is one of my job requirements. I could probably find a cheaper vendor."

"None fresher. I worked at Evan's for a few summers."

She laughed. "I can't see it."

"Not anymore. I'm not going behind that counter ever again. So what's so special about the scallops?"

"Besides fresh from Evan's? Fine. The theme is seasonal, strawberries." Pan seared scallops with asparagus and couscous driveled with a strawberry balsamic glaze.

"I'm intrigued. Are the muffins strawberry too?"

"No, I'm making double chocolate again. There have been a ton of requests for them."

"I wish it wasn't so close to the start of training camp."

"What's your life like there?"

"In Buffalo? Busy. Camp is hard work. We play preseason games in August. Once the season starts, every day is practice and game prep. Half the weeks we travel, then we play for three hours."

"How many games?"

"Seventeen. We skip one week."

"A week off? Do you come back?"

He shook his head and laughed. "Just no game. We still have practices. Even if we have a day of rest, I'd rather stay home and rest."

"Meaning go for a run."

"Maybe?" He laughed.

"You work hard. I didn't know what to think when you were hanging around all the time."