51 - Blah, blah, blah

MAY

Kat hadn't seen Will in two weeks. No one had, well except John and Kelly who spent Easter weekend with him in Virginia. The word was he went to Buffalo, but no one knew if he was coming back. She could ask Kerry, but then Will would find out.

The last time she saw Will was the evening he had lunch with Sam. She tried not to look, but he looked good with his beard. His eyes had dark circles under them, but she hadn't slept well either.

He appeared on her fire escape because The Landing was closed. It surprised her he didn't have his own key. He stood there slouched over, not his tall, confident jock self.

When she saw he had a paper bag with a bottle in it, she started to shut the door. "Don't think you can give me poison and get me drunk and everything will be fine."

"I don't. It's not. I thought about it, but I bought you a gift. I know I blew it, but this reminds me of when we started. Our friendship. I know I was a jerk and you have every right to hate me. I think I had a messiah complex. I was saving The Landing for the entire Point. I didn't see it but it went to my head."

Kat didn't know what to think of his honesty. Her head spun and her mouth had gone dry. "I can't do this right now."

The pain etched his face. "I understand. Take this." As soon the bottle was firmly in her hand, he turned to leave. Except he stopped and said, "Bye Kit Kat."

As he disappeared, she stood frozen. Pops called her Kitty, and she hated when Bryce said it. She was certain she never told Will. Somehow he conjured up her grandfather's pet name without even knowing it.

Once she finally closed the door, she looked in the bag. It was her favorite wine. The glass she ordered at the Beach House. She would save it for a time when she felt worthy. Her pride had been shredded. Her trust was stomped on again. Messiah complex, she scoffed. Hadn't she acted similarly when she had her own kitchen. Bryce had to remind her she wasn't Gordon Ramsey.

Two days later, Kerry called to let her know the investment group didn't need to approve the weekly schedule anymore. She replied, "You mean Will?"

"He means well, but he's a man. I've been married for twenty-four years and have three sons, so I'm an expert. They don't always think things through, but the man has a good heart."

"Who is your son's favorite football player?"

She laughed. "Ironically, my husband transferred from Massachusetts to Buffalo four years ago, so my boys grew up loving Tom Brady."

Kat laughed for the first time in days. "Does Will know?"

"Yeah. He's met my boys but only my youngest lives nearby. Sometimes I have to remind myself that Will isn't another one of my boys."

"Now his secret is out, you can talk to me."

"I'm sorry but I felt like a double agent. Will offered for Jim and I to use his condo this fall, so we could see what all the fuss is with your cooking."

Kat almost said that she didn't know where she would be by fall, but she signed a contract and intended to hold up her end.

Every day since he left, Kat turned her head when the bell rang. She hadn't intended to make him leave his home.

Kat put the finishing touches on the cookies she had made for Nick's graduation. She had decorated the sugar cookies with a mortarboard and tassel. Then she packaged the dozen cookies in a container so they wouldn't crumble.

"Martha, I'm dropping the cookies off before the family leaves for the airport." According to Kristi, they had a seven-thirty flight. It was only three-thirty, so she had plenty of time. It amazed Kat that she could find out anything if she asked the right person.