37 - Tickets

JANUARY

Will's team finished the regular season with a playoff spot. Every game they played was win or go home. As much as he missed The Point, he was a competitor and would fight to win it all. Finishing the season healthy had been a huge win after his injury the year before. Healthy was a relative term because bruises were part of the game. His goal was to run the fastest, so he didn't get tackled, but he hit the ground hard every game.

They had a grueling practice to get ready to face their next opponent. Will spent time in the training room which included working on his sore muscles and taking an ice bath. After a warm shower and warmer clothes, he drove through snow-covered streets home. The house felt empty, so he plopped himself on his sofa and picked up his phone. He should have called his mother or even Ryan, but he called Kat instead.

"Don't you have playoffs to get ready for?"

"We did all day. I'm tired. How was your day?" He forgot her success was his. With his assistant managing the communication, he let go a little. If business kept up the way it was, he would make the money he invested on the ovens and porch back. Rick was right, his initial investment was a drop in the bucket compared to what he made playing during the season. Will wasn't greedy, but when he couldn't play anymore, he wanted to be set for life. He heard stories of guys who spent it all and ended up broke.

Kat didn't talk for long and he was looking at social media when his doorbell rang. Checking his security camera, his heart sped up. When he opened the door, he took in the face he had loved.

"Hi Will."

"Hailey, what are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to visit. I haven't seen you in months."

"I've been busy. What happened with your guy?"

"Why do you think something happened?"

He ran his fingers through his hair. "You're here. Last time I saw you, you told me to get lost."

"I don't remember that."

He shrugged. "What do you want? Don't tell me your boyfriend wants playoff tickets." Not happening.

"I'm not seeing anyone."

His heart sped up. "What happened?"

She sighed. "If you must know, he went back to his ex."

"So you got dumped. It sucks doesn't it."

"I'm sorry I hurt you."

"I've learned to live without you. I can't believe you came out on a snowy night to tell me you're sorry. You could have called."

"Maybe I miss you."

He stepped back. "No, no, no. I don't trust you. You said you never loved me. I should have known when you were hot for Sam. We've all grown up. He's married. I'm busy with the game and my investments. You need to go find someone new."

"Fine. I'll go." She walked to the door. With her hand on the knob, she turned around. "Do you have playoff tickets?"

He laughed as he shook his head. "Nope, I gave them away." He hadn't, but she didn't need to know. He would rather the seats stay empty.

After she left, he sunk into the sofa. Maybe he should have invited her to the bedroom. A man had needs, but his heart would have been tricked into caring and all the repair work would come undone. When he picked up his phone, he called Ryan.

"I was about to call you. I just got off the phone with your Dad."

"What's wrong?" Illness. Accident. He felt pressure in his head.