21 - Secrets

Martha had Wednesday off, so Kat was on the early morning shift. The day started with the fishing and lobster crews. Some wanted coffee, others bought sandwiches to eat at lunch. Next the residents of The Point trickled in before they set off for work and school.

A good-looking man (weren't they all) smiled at her as she put his coffee down. "I heard you ran a kitchen."

"I, um, needed a change."

He smiled warmly. "It's okay, your secret's safe with me."

Her eyes bore into him. How could he know? "We haven't met. I'm Kat."

He stuck out his hand. "Oliver Barton. Rumor around the place is you need an oven."

"We're working on a proposal. Do you know who the investors are?"

"Nope. But I have an oven or two you can use on Monday and Thursday mornings until you work something out here."

"An oven?" She looked at him questioningly.

He handed her his business card. Chef. Owner. "We're closed on Mondays and my partner and pastry chef is off on Thursdays."

"Why would you offer?"

He smiled. "I'm a sucker for a good muffin. Bring your own supplies. Clean up after yourself."

The logistics of baking off-site didn't make it ideal, not with lugging flour and all the ingredients. She needed containers to bring the baked items back to sell or freeze. Kat winced. Baking only two days a week wasn't her goal, but it was better than nothing.

Kat looked at Oliver and saw him on the calendar wearing a white chef's toque. Hoping not to blush, she blurted, "Your reputation."

He paused for a moment as her words suspended in air. "I got lucky. Hard work and skill was only part of the equation. I have Boston connections and heard rumors. It angers me. Anyone of us could have failed."

"Will you hire me for your kitchen?"

He smiled. "My kitchen is fully staffed and I'm too young to retire. I need to go, but I'll meet you here tomorrow morning. You can follow me."

Kat frowned. She needed supplies and a plan. She also had to find someone to work for her. With her baking, she would need another hourly employee. Would her investor let her hire one? Maybe Will would be interested until the weather turned warmer. When did the lifeguards start at the beach?

When Ivy arrived, she agreed to open with Martha the next day. "I'll be back before lunch."

Ivy shrugged. "No prob. Do what you have to do?"

Kat would work over twelve hours, but it was no different from what she had done at her own restaurant. Nick and Finley, a high school student, could cover the dinner rush. Finley was a good kid who everyone thought was a boy. The female box was checked on the employment application, but there wasn't an 'other' box. That was something Kat should change. Often Nick called his coworker dude. It made Kat chuckle.

Kat had asked Finley directly what pronouns she used. "Any. It doesn't matter. I'm comfortable being a work in progress."

"So, um, you won't be offended when a customer gets it wrong?"

Finley smiled. "There is no right or wrong. I'm not trying to make a statement. I'm just trying to be me."

Kat nodded. "So you don't mind dude?"

Finley laughed. "Nah, it's Nick's way of letting me know I belong."

Kat didn't think she was that mature at sixteen although she worked just as hard. She had never questioned her identity. Given the opportunity and the wardrobe, she would dress up like a girl, but worked hard enough to prove there were no gender disparities in the kitchen. When an older customer called her sweetie or honey she smiled. It didn't offend her, especially since they intended it as a compliment.