20 - Change

Will paced back and forth in his living room. What were they thinking, hiring Kat? First the baking, next she wanted to change the menu. Meanwhile, she threatened to quit. He would be in trouble if that happened. Rick wouldn't train a new manager, would he? The man was retired.

He replied to her email, challenging her to come up with some options. Then he stated, use Alex Goodwin for the estimates.

The bigger question was what the hell was he thinking? Buying The Landing had become a bigger expense than he expected. Renovations weren't cheap, and he didn't want to think about the equipment.

Will skipped a morning stop at his business and went to the gym to work off his regret. He strolled in late for the lunch crowd. Swimming in his head were lists of grocery items which were never sold. First step was to reduce the prices to get rid of the stock. Kat stood with her hands on her hips.

He watched as she took a measuring tape and measured an area. "What are you doing?"

She jumped and put her hand over her heart. "You. You startled me."

"Sorry." He took in her blue orbs. There was a sadness that intrigued him.

"S'okay. I'm trying to find space to bake. Maybe the storage room."

"Where will you store things?"

She frowned. "A shed?"

"So you have to go out in the snow for more sugar packets?"

She sighed. "Did you come to eat? You skipped your famous coffee."

He froze. "It's Rick's famous coffee." He smiled. "You should change the name to that."

She pouted. "I can't do anything without invisaboss's permission."

"To answer your question, I was busy earlier, but I'm hungry now."

"What do you want?"

He picked a healthy turkey sandwich. His training program was to add muscle, not fat. It took a few minutes longer than he expected.

When Kat brought it out she said, "Try this. It's on me if you don't like it." He bit his tongue and looked at her sideways. "It won't bite you."

As he bit into the fresh bread, his tongue danced with a zesty sauce. It was creamy like mayonnaise, but better. "I ordered mustard."

"I know but do you like my special sauce?"

"It's good but you sound like McDonald's." If Will said special sauce it would sound suggestive.

"Stop! Enjoy your first of a kind Turkey. I should name it after you. Maybe I should name all my items for someone, like Rick's coffee."

"That's not new!" His heart picked up its pace.

"No! I would never change the coffee." She murmured. "I signed a contract." Will pretended to be surprised.

Alex came in and Kat ran over to him. "Can we meet to discuss some ideas?"

"I have time now."

"I'm not quite ready. I was thinking if we had fewer tables..."

"Fewer tables. It gets crowded as it is." Will had to jump in.

She looked at Will and frowned, while regaining her train of thought. "Maybe we could build a porch."

"It'll be cold in the winter," Will argued.

"For three seasons with sides and heaters. Lots of restaurants have them." Kat smiled.

Alex nodded. "Shade at Higgins Beach has a porch. Jen and I went last fall. It was great."