19 - New boss

It had been a whirlwind since Nick returned from Florida. His uncle arrived at about the same time. Drew had come home for Rick's retirement party without his wife and kids. It was a family legacy to work at The Landing. The Pelletiers and Brenners were Rick's alums. Nick hated the idea that Sophie was an alum. At least, he still had Ivy.

He was nervous about working for a new boss. Rick was nice because as he liked to remind him, he knew the twins their whole life. Nick had grown up on The Point, so Rick was a fixture in his life, the one constant that never changed. Sure he looked older, but his smiling face was always waiting to greet whoever rang the bell.

Nick was happy to share hugs and greetings with his uncle. The mood was festive. His dad had helped move Rick and Alice to their new cottage. The thought of Rick sitting on his front porch was weird, but he walked by on the way to his grandparents' house for the party. After he posed for pictures, he found his friends sitting on the deck.

"I love this house." Ivy looked out at the ocean. "I've been in it before but forgot how beautiful it is."

Growing up, he and Sophie spent a lot of time at their grandparents' house. It was part of the memories that had faded from when his parents weren't together. He knew his father lived in Uncle John and Aunt Becka's house, but he had trouble separating them running around the backyard from when they stayed with their father and when they visited.

Sophie smiled. "Tell our Grandmother, she loves the praise."

Nick rolled his eyes, knowing their mother's mother was fanatic about a perfect house. Their home was far more lived in. Ivy laughed. "I'll pass. Hey, Nick, have you met the new boss? She's over there."

Ivy pointed to a woman, not too old talking to Will. "I expected someone older and I don't know. Just different."

Ben teased, "She's too old for you, besides you have a girl in Florida."

"She's in Illinois and I wasn't even thinking of it, pig."

Sophie laughed, "Boys, you are both pigs. Nick, go meet her. Aren't you working tomorrow?"

Rick had sent him his schedule. Secretly, Nick was convinced Jen emailed it. Maybe he was wrong since Jack had computerized The Landing. "Do you want to come, Soph, and pick up a few shifts?"

"My internship starts tomorrow." She was in school for communications and had a job at a PR firm in Portland. Everyone teased her because once she mastered talking she never stopped. His sister talked to everyone. She held up the line and Rick had to prod her along, but the customers loved it.

"I'll take you over and introduce you."

Nick smiled at Ivy. "Okay. Thanks." As they stepped together, he asked, "When did you get home?"

"My Mom was waiting for me when I finished my exams on Thursday morning."

Nick laughed. "I bet."

"Hey Kat. This is Nick, your employee. He just came home today."

Smiling, she said, "Nice to meet you. I think you're on the schedule for tomorrow."

"Yup, close. I come from a long line of Landing employees, you can count on me." Ivy chuckled as she walked away. Nick stammered, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He rushed back to his friends in time to hear Ivy making fun of him. "Thanks a lot. Some kind of welcome home I get."

Sophie put his arm around him. "Oh Nicky, we love you. You're so cute."

The heat spread across his face. Turning away from his sister, he walked into the kitchen and picked up a bottle of beer from the tub filled with ice and drinks. His uncle pointed at him. "I'm telling."