Chapter 4: Party. Party. Party.

Friday, June 20, 2014

I woke up at 11. The party started at 4. I was going to Reagan's house at 3 to help set things up. I got out of bed and took a shower. It was lunch time so I made myself a deli sandwich. It had turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise. It was actually really good. Then I turned on SportsCenter until time to get ready. Top 10 was on right now.

At 2:30 I started to get ready. I put on white adidas soccer shorts and a purple Hope Solo keeper jersey. I put on my white TR Frees and walked out to my car. I rolled down the top and got inside.

I pulled into Reagan's driveway and got out of the car. I walked through the front door and saw Reagan.

"Hey buddy," I said as I walked towards her. She was busy hanging decorations in the kitchen.

"Hey. Is it okay if the food and drinks are outside and in here can be a place for cards and stuff?"

"Yeah sure."

We walked outside and hung a Team USA banner. There were red, white, and blue table cloths and matching plates, napkins, and silverware. The pool was open and warm. I packed my USA flag swimsuit in the trunk. I helped set up the volleyball nets and moved the soccer goals. We were planning on showing a movie on the side wall where there was a white sheet on it.

Ben showed up at 3:30 with drinks and chips. He volunteered to man the grill tonight. I had brought hot dogs, hamburgers, and the buns. He helped set up tables and started prepping the grill.

People started arriving at 4:15 and they all gathered in the back yard.

"Hi guys! Thanks for coming. Help yourselves to the food. Hamburgers and hot dogs are being made right now. Have fun!" Reagan yelled to the guests. "Liana is up here if you would like to see her."

I went and got my food a sat down. Very quickly I was surrounded by people lining up to talk to me. I eventually stopped trying to eat and had Ben hold my food.

"Congrats Webb. I knew you could do it!"

"Thanks Coach Bricker."

"Li!" I turned just in time to catch my best friend in the air before she fell to the ground.

"Sy! Oh my gosh it's so good to see you!" I hugged her.

"I missed you!"

"Same!"

"Hang around after and well do something tomorrow before I leave."

"Will do!"

I was congratulated by almost everyone. There were people everywhere, in the pool, out front, in the house. I was actually overwhelmed. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a tall muscular build with deep blue eyes, like my dad, and short brownish hair, like my mom. It had to be. I walked over and sure enough it was my brother, Miles.

"Miles?" I asked.

He turned around, "Liana!" We hugged. "It's so great to hear this. Congrats!"

"Thanks. I didn't expect to see you here."

"Yeah me neither, but when Reagan called saying you made the team I couldn't stay away."

"When'd you get here?"

"Last night."

"It's so great to see you." I gave him one last hug and walked back to front.

Reagan got up in the front and started talking. "Li, I'm so proud of you. I knew this was possible. I've never doubted your dreams. I hope you have the most possible success and that you make the best of friends. I will miss you so very much. I love you!"

I mouthed a thank you to her. Now it was my turn to give my "speech."

"Thank you guys for coming. I hope you had a good time. I will be leaving Monday for Carson, CA where I will be training with the US National Women's Soccer Team. I will be gone from the 23rd to the 8th. Hopefully I will learn a lot and maybe be called back. I want to thank my coaches for never quitting and always believing in me and my abilities even when I didn't. Thank you to my family who has always supported me through everything. They have put up with my pregame, being sweaty and late to parties and always being there on the big days. Thanks to my big brother, Miles, who never went easy on me and always was there to pick me up. Thank you Mom for pushing me to be who I am today, for driving me around all of high school, for coming out to support rain or shine. Thank you to my dad who I wish was here but he's out serving his country. He always helped me train and we played 1-on-1 out back. He truly never gave up on me. Thank you Ben for manning the grill and always knowing how to bring me up and make me smile. And I'd like to give a big thank you to my best friend. Reagan. She made this party possible and has never left my side. She has believed in my dreams when I had lost hope. She's supported me and pushed me to be the player I am today. Reagan sees the best in me. She always has. I have never been more blessed to have her as a best friend. But we're not really friends, were more like sisters. I love you guys! Thank you so much!" I finished and looked at Reagan. She was crying and seeing her cry mad me cry. I ran over to her and hugged her. Now we both we balling.

"Hey. Look at me. I'll be back. Don't you worry!"

She smiled and rested her head on my shoulder.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, if you are."

"Okay."

I let go and walked over to Ben. His back was to me cleaning the grill. I walked up an hugged him from behind. I laid my head on his back. He quickly turned around and hugged me back.

"I can't believe it. I come back and I have to leave you again." I said with tears in my eyes. I tried to hold them back but it wasn't working. The first one fell and then several more. He took his fingers and dried my face.

"Hey. Look at me." He said as he lifted my chin until my eyes met his. "It'll be okay. I'm always going to be here waiting for you. I have faith that you'll do big things."

"I don't want to leave you. Not again. Last time was hard enough."

"Cheer up. You're not gone forever yet. I'll see you when you get back from camp."

"Okay." I grabbed him and held on for awhile. I didn't want to let go. I left in two days. Tomorrow was my last day here.

Once everyone left I saw Sy waiting by the door. I walked over there.

"Hey wanna do something tonight?"

"Sure."

"Spend the night and go night swimming. It'll be me, Ben, and Reag if you wanna join."

"Sure sounds great."

We dove to my house and then went inside and changed into our swim suits and got in the pool. It was cold this morning when I got in, but now it was warm and felt good. We hung out and watched the time fly by. It was 2 in the morning when we got out. We walked inside and downstairs to go to bed. Reagan disappeared in the 10 foot walk down the stairs.

"Li, I don't have pajamas." Sy said.

"That's fine I'll get you some. Did you see where Reagan went?" I asked just as she walked through the door. "Oh there you are. Do you need.." I stopped mid sentence and saw what she was wearing. My sweats and my sweatshirt. "Just kidding. I see you already got some."

She just laughed. I went up to my room and grabbed a pair of big sweats and a sweatshirt. Sy was taller than me so I gave her my biggest size. I changed into Nike sweats and a USWNT sweatshirt from the Olympics. I looked in the mirror satisfied and walked back downstairs to the two girls. I stopped as I saw Ben get out of the bathroom in Nike shorts and a tank. I walked up to him and gave him a hug goodnight.

"Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah of course."

"Come swimming with me tomorrow night."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

I gave him one last hug before letting him walk to his car. I walked down the stairs and gave Sy the clothes. She changed and then we fell asleep on the couches of the basement living room.