Chapter 30: Game Day

Wednesday, August 29, 2014

I woke up and got dressed. I put my training pants on and my training shirt. I put Ben's sweatshirt over top. Alex was in the bathroom.

"Hey Li."

"Good morning."

"Ready for breakfast?"

"Yeah." I went in and brushed my teeth.

We walked out our door at the same time as Kelley and Tobin. The four of us got in the elevator and made our way down to the team room.

We are a pretty decent breakfast. I went straight from practice outside for my pre game run. I turned my music up and just started running. I ran for 30 minutes and then headed in.

We had a team meeting concerning our game plan. I went back to my room to hang out with Alex.

For lunch we ate salads and then went out to the park. After an hour of just talking we headed back to the hotel.

Around 4 we all started to get ready. I put my boots, pre wrap, shin guards and socks in my back. I had an extra tshirt and shorts. I put on my travel suit and went down with Alex to the lobby.

We all loaded the bus. Kelley found me and sat beside me. We were all focused but there was laughter from me and Kelley. I put my Beats on before we got off the bus. I played my pre game playlist and got off the bus.

We got in the locker room and changed into our warmups. Then we headed out on the pitch. Fans were just starting to arrive. We warmed up the 30 minutes and then went back into the locker room.

I put my headphones on and changed into my living room. Before we left Abby gave her pre game speech. It ended with all of us laughing.

I didn't get the start but I was sitting on the bench with Ash and Kelley.

The game had just started. In the 3rd minute Pinoe connected with Syd for the first goal of the match. More opportunities can but none were finished. It was 1-0 at the half. In the 56th Carli scored on a pk. Switzerland scored a pk in the 70th. The 71st minute came and Coach put me in. My nerves were going crazy but as soon as I stepped on the pitch I was cool and collected. 77th Christen scored putting us up 3-1.

The time was ticking. I was very anxious. Alex had a long driven shot. It bounced off the goal post. I sprinted full out to touch the ball before the keeper. I made it there first and tapped the ball away from the keeper. I took a left footed shot and watched the ball hit the back of the net. It was surreal. I was surrounded with my teammates. The goal celebration was more than I ever dreamed of. The final whistle blue three minutes later. We had won 4-1!

I was congratulated by my team and coaches. We changed in the locker room and then were almost immediately greeted by the press.

"Ugh, I hate interviews." I said to Kelley when we met up.

"Yeah. Great job tonight." She said and hugged me.

"Thanks Kel."

I met up with Ben before we caught the bus. "Great job tonight." He said and kissed me.

"Thanks. You coming with us tonight?"

"Yeah. I'd be happy to."

We got on the bus and went to the hotel. We changed and went out to a club. Tonight we partied. Coach said
We deserved it. Kelley bought drinks.

"Come on Li." Kelley begged. She was totally drunk.

"Kel. I don't drink." I told her. Tobin threw me a water. "That's the only thing I drink."

"Same." Tobin said.

We danced and had a fun time. Then the bus drove us back. I was exhausted. Thankfully Alex wasn't drunk out of her mind. Tobin was going to have fun tonight.

"Have fun Tobs." I said.

"Yeah thanks Li." She said. Kelley full weight was leaning on her.

We laughed and went to our room. "Goodnight Superstar." Ben said.

"Goodnight. Love you."

"Love you too." He said. He bent down and kissed me.

I went into the room with Alex.
"Great job tonight." Alex said.

"Thanks. You too."

I put Ben's sweatshirt on and fell asleep.