Chapter 59: The Day After

Monday, December 15, 2014

I woke up and Hope was already awake in her bed. I was laying on my stomach so I turned my head to check the time. It was 8:30. I groaned and shoved my face back in the pillow.

"Well good morning to you too." Hope laughed. "Hey. You wanna talk about it. You came in and didn't say anything. You just crashed." Her voice a little more serious.

I rolled over and just started at the ceiling. "No." I closed my eyes trying not to think about anything.

But Hope knew I was hurting. I heard her get up and walk over to my bed. "Scoot over." She said quietly. I did. She came and laid on my bed and pulled me into a hug.

And at that I couldn't hold it back anymore. I just started crying. Hope just tried to comfort me and she didn't push me to answer anything. "Hope?"

"Yeah?"

"Kenzie has leukemia." I tried to get out. "She's actually my cousin but she's really my sister. We were born an hour apart. And we've always done everything together."

"Hey. If she grew up with you, I'm sure she's going to fight like hell. She's not alone. She's got you. And you're not alone in this. You've got us. This team has your back."

"Thank you Hope."

"You're welcome."

"What's the plan for today?"

"Well recovery and a light practice."

"Okay. Sounds good. And Hope?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't know how I'm going to tell everybody but could you not tell them yet?"

"Of course. But if you need me or anyone, I'm sure they'll be open to help. Especially me." She smiled.

"Thanks Hope. I'm going to take a shower." I said and got up from Hope's side.

"Alright."

I grabbed my clothes and went to the bathroom. I took a shower and then changed. I put on a training tank and my sweats before heading out.

"Li wanna join me for breakfast?" Hope asked sweetly.

"I'd love to." I said and smiled.

Hope got up and gave me a hug. "Love you kid."

"Love you too."

We walked out the door. Hope had her arm around my shoulder.

"Damn it." I said and stopped abruptly in my tracks.

"What?!" Hope said.

"I forgot my phone. I'll be right back."

I ran back to the room. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. I ran back to Hope. "Hope I can't-" She held her hand out showing off my phone. My gold iPhone 6. "You jackass." I said and snatched it back.

"You never asked."

"Well I didn't know you go stealing people's phones."

"Well I only do for some people." She smirked.

I playfully shoved her and kept walking. We made out way down to breakfast. I wasn't super hungry so I didn't get much to eat. I didn't have an appetite.

And of course everyone noticed. "Li you okay?" Ali asked.

"Yep." I said shortly.

"Li?"

"Ali I'm fine."

"Dang lose the tude." She snapped back.

I saw Hope give Ashlyn a look. Ash caught on. "Ali. I think it's best that you stop."