Chapter 31: USA vs Mexico

Saturday, September 13, 2014

We were in Utah for this game. We had two friendlies against Mexico in a total of 6 days. I was pumped. This was my second game with the National Team. Last game I nailed it. I had scored my first goal.

I woke up extremely tight to I went down to get a massage before my run. I learned that my IT Bands were tight. The trainers KT taped me and I was out for my run.

I came back and ate a light lunch. Then I took a little nap. Usually I didn't but I wasn't feeling great. Ben was out hanging with the guys. I knew he was okay. He checked in on my every now and then. He knew not to disturb by pre game ritual.

After I woke up I took a shower. I threw my hair up in a bun. I was ready for the game. I packed my back and Kelley and I walked down to the lobby. We boarded the bus and I sat by Kelley. We jammed to Taylor Swift.

After warm up we came in and changed. Before Abby's pre game pep talk I sat in my locker. Alex was in hers doing her visualization. I sat with my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands. I prayed. I prayed thanking God for giving me this opportunity. Then we all came together and listened to Abby's mess.

Today was my first start. I was playing on the right and Tobin was my midfielder on the left. Once the whistle blew I was ready. I was ready to prove this was my moment.

In the 12th minute Mexico had and own goal. Abby had two goals before the half and Alex had one. It was 4-0. After the half, Alex scored her second for the night. It was assisted by me. I took free kick and Alex was there to volley it in. Whitney, Syd, and HAO had goals too. It was a solid performance.

We went back to the hotel. We all went to bed fairly early because we were leaving for Rochester in the morning.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

It was game day. We all went our separate ways, each doing their own game day routine.

After warmups, Abby gave her pep talk and we were off. I wasn't starting this game so I sat with Ash and Christen who also weren't starting.

The first goal of the game was given to ARod. Two more were also scored. One by Pinoe and the other by Tobin in crunch time before the half. We were playing solid. I went in the second half. I connected a long ball with Alex who finished in the 79. That was the game. 4-0!

We all went and celebrated the two wins and shutouts against Mexico in the locker room. Then I went out to find Ben. Of course I was immediately surrounded by people wanting this or asking that.

"What were you thinking when you sent the cross?"
"Did you know she was there?"
"Congrats on the win. Now what are you planning on doing in the time off?"

"I was thinking Alex was there. She always was. So yes I believed she was. It was kind of a do or die. And I just let I fly. And truthfully we don't have that much time off but I am planning on a vaca with my boyfriend. So thanks. Have a great night."

Interviews were the worst. The kids were great. I loved seeing their faces light up. I heard someone laughing behind my back. I turned around and saw Ben. He had obviously heard the annoyed sound in my voice. "Stop." I told him.

He walked to me and gave me a big hug. "So what are you planning on doing after tonight?" He asked in his best reporter voice.

"I'm going on a much needed vacation with this guy." I said teasing him.

"Oh who might this guy be?" He was getting flustered.

"Oh you know some guy." I wanted to egg him on a little more. Seeing him flustered was cute.

"Oh well some guy must not be very important."

I was done seeing him flustered. I got up on my tip toes and kissed him. It shocked him but he kissed back and bent down putting my feet back on the ground. "This guy's is very important. And I can't wait to go on vacation with him." He just smiled.

He walked me too the bus and then met up with Dom and Serv. they took him to the hotel.

He met me getting off the bus. Most didn't know who he was. He was trying to play professional but he gotten picked yet.

We went out with the team. Many of them got drinks. Coach allowed us to get drinks because we didn't play until the second week of October.

"Li. Come on. It's on me." A loopy Kelley walked over to me.

"Kel. You know I don't drink." I said. "I'll go dance with you though."

She grabbed my hand and pulled me onto the dance floor. We knew how to get down on the dance floor. It was so much fun. Then for some reason Taylor Swift was interrupted by Dave Barnes God Gave Me You.

Ben walked up to me. "Can I have this dance?" He asked.

I nodded yes and when swept me off my feet. Ben was very good at being a gentleman. I looked over and saw Ali and Ash, Alex and Serv, Syd and Dom, Lauren and Jrue, and Amy and Adam. They were all on the dance floor slow dancing.

"God gave you for the ups and downs. God gave me you for the days of doubt." Ben quietly sang along in my ear. At the end of the song we just stood there in each others arms. "I love you." He finally whispered in my ear and kissed my cheek.

"I love you too."

We walked off and sat down at a table. After 10 we headed back to the hotel. We had a big day. We were exhausted.

"Alright guys. We're heading out." I announced.

"Aww Li why?" Tobin asked. She didn't want me to leave because she was kind of alone. She didn't drink and she didn't dance.

"We're leaving for Florida tomorrow."

"Have fun you two." Alex said.

"Thanks. Love you guys. Be careful." I added the be careful because many of them were topsy.

"Tobin you can come if you want."

She gladly got up and left with us.

"Li. Key." I was confused. "I don't want to watch your makeout." She laughed.

Just for that I pulled Ben in and started kissing him. "Li."

"Okay okay. Here." We both laughed. She went inside and shut the door.

We stood at my door. "Goodnight baby."

"Goodnight. I can't wait for tomorrow." I said.

"Me neither." He gave me a kiss goodnight and I walked into me and Kelleys room. Tobin was laying on Kelleys bed.

"Goodnight Li."

"Goodnight Tobs."

I brushed my teeth and changed into sweats. I turned the lights out and started to get tired. Then the door swung open. Kelley was standing there. "Well hi Kel."

"Hey Li." She was pretty much sober now. "Li I'm exhausted." She was about to topple over. I jumped out of bed to go grab her.

"I know. Kel. I know." She was leaning on me. I walked her to her bed. She grabbed my arm.

"No. I can't sleep alone." Then she looked at a sleeping Tobin. "Or here." Tobin was taking up the entire bed.

"Okay. Come on." I said and she went and laid in my bed. I followed. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just won't see you in like three weeks."

"It's okay. I'll call for sure." I gave we an assuring smile.

"Okay Li. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Kel."

She was laying on my shoulder and my arm was around her. I could tell we were really close. I fell asleep not long after she did.