Chapter 43: For Ben

Tuesday, October 24, 2014

I woke up to my alarm. I was so relived that it was just a dream. Yet now I had more fears leaving Ben in DC.

The stress got to me and I broke down crying. I was just sitting the edge of my bed.

"Li?" Ali said. She came and sat beside me. "What's wrong?"

"Just hold me." She wrapped her arms around me and we sat there until I calmed down. I wiped my cheeks. "I'm sorry."

"No it's okay. What happened?"

"It was a dream. More like a nightmare. But I got a call from the hospital saying he had a seizure and died. I went to the hospital and his family was there. But what hit home the most was that David, his younger brother handed me a ring box. Inside was my wedding ring he wrote, I'm sorry I'm not here to give this to you. I love you with all my heart. Forever and always. -ben. That's when I woke up."

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry." Ali said.

"It's okay. I'm good now. I'm just going to call him though. So I'll meet you at breakfast."

"Okay. Love you."

"I love you too Ali."

I walked over to the table and got my key before walking out the door. I immediately dialed Ben's number.

"Hey." He said. I started crying again when I heard his voice. "Baby, what's wrong."

"It was you. You were, you were," I couldn't spit it out.

"It's okay. I'm fine. And doc said I can leave tomorrow."

I was relieved. "Oh my gosh that's so good."

"Do you need to talk about it?"

"No. Now that I know you are okay it doesn't matter. It was just my brain messing with me."

"You sure."

"Yes. I'm fine. Promise."

"Okay. Well I don't know where I'll be flying in but I'll be there don't worry."

"I'll try not to. Love you. Can't wait to see you."

"I can't either. Love you. And kick ass tonight!"

I just laughed and he hung up the phone. I got up relieved that he was truly okay. I walked into the team room and was surprised to only find Hope siting alone.

"Hey." I said and walked up to her.

"Oh hey Li."

"Why are we the only ones here?"

"I don't know actually. People should be here by now."

"Oh. Well I'm gonna go grab a cup of coffee and I'll be back."

"Okay."

I went and poured me a cup of coffee. Then I sat back down with Hope.

"This is kinda weird."

"What?" She asked.

"Little ole me with the big bad keeper."

She laughed. "No I wouldn't say that."

"Why?"

"Because you're very strong. And I'm not too bad am I?"

We both laughed. "No. Hope you're not. You're just a little intimidating at first."

"I get that a lot." She smiled.

"Hey hey hey!" Pinoe yelled as she walked in the room. She started banging on the tables.