Chapter 37: Talk to Me, Li

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Today was game day. Not only was it game day it was the start of the CONCACAF Championship. I was pumped. Practice had been going really well. I got out of bed and changed into my training gear. I planned on going out running after team breakfast.

"Good morning." Ali said. She was awake in her bed with her laptop open.

"Good morning." I said.

"Why are you so awake this early?" She asked. Ali wasn't really a morning person.

"I don't know. It's game day." I said shooting off fake guns and blowing their smoke.

"You're crazy, kid." Ali said laughing.

"What. I'm pretty pumped."

"I can see." I gave her a 'aren't you?' kind of face. "Don't worry I am too. It's just a little early."

"Oh Kriegs." I said. She rolled her eyes. "Come on get ready. Team breakfast." I said now jumping on her bed.

"Oh my gosh. You need to stop hanging out with Kelley so much."

"Just get ready."

She rolled out of bed and went to the bathroom. She came out with her mascara on smiling.

"What are you ready now that your mascara's on?" I laughed.

She looked offended. "No. But I'm almost." She put her training pants and a clean USA tank on. "Now I'm ready."

We walked out into the hallway and met up with a sleepy Tobin, a need coffee Kelley, a bed head Ashlyn and a pumped up Alex. The six of us made our way down to the team room. Breakfast was set up buffet style and our teammates were already getting food. We walked in line and got our food. We sat with Hope and Carli at a table for eight.

"Hey guys." Hope said.

"Hi Hope. Hi Carli."

We ate and then I went out and ran around. The problems and stresses of the world were gone. My only focus was the game tonight.

After my run I came the hotel. We all hung out in the lobby playing games and just talking. Around 3ish I went and took a shower. Once I got out I put my hair in and bun. We had a team meeting before we left. Coach just discussed our game plan. Game was at 7 and the bus left at 5. Pre game started now. I listened to my playlist and got on the bus. We were playing Trinidad & Tobago. Me and Kel jammed to TaySwift and then made our way to the locker rooms.

Everything happened the same. I got dressed the same. Always had Abby's pre game pep talk. Kelley and I always did our handshake before the game started. I blew a kiss to Ben walking out for introductions.

I was starting today. We were testing the line ups. It was ARod and Alex up front. Me, Lauren, Carli, and Moe in the middle. And Ali, Becky, JJ and Kling. The back line didn't change much. Ash was in goal today. Hope was out with a nagging shoulder injury.

After the national anthem we got in our huddle. After the break I met with Kel and we did our handshake before jogging onto the pitch. It was a perfect night for soccer. It was cool, not to hot, and cloudy so the sun wasn't beating down on us.

Tweet.

They had the kick off. They touched it and sent it long to our corner. Ali easily settled and switched fields. The ball made its way to me. I dribbled down on the left flank towards the corner. I let a cross go. Alex got her head on it but it went wide. The half went just like that. Our outside flanks and backs sending in crosses that no one could finish. We went into the half tied nil to nil.