12. Old Memories

I am giving free access to bonus chapter of JAAN today. So check author's note.

____________

Right now, Meera was going to meet Pratap Singh Yaduvanshi in their garden. She was in her room about to thank Aashrit for all the gifts when a maid appeared and informed her about Pratap Singh Yaduvanshi's order to meet in the garden. She was nervous and scared on hearing this but she had no choice.

Meera finally reached the garden and saw the maid disappearing back into the house while she was left alone there. She looked at some distance and saw a swing, beside which Pratap Singh Yaduvanshi was sitting on a chair, now looking at her. Meera took a deep breath and walked towards him with shaky feet.

As she reached him, she touched his feet and took his blessings. Pratap Yaduvanshi blessed her and asked her to take a seat on the swing. Meera was unsure and kept looking between him and the chair.

"Meera, I know your immense love for swings. And I think you would be more comfortable on the swing than the chair." He said with a slight smile on his face which relaxed and also intrigued Meera.

She was curious to know how much he knew about her but also didn't have enough courage. She nervously sat on the swing. She was nervous about the talks they were going to have and also curious to know everything. She looked at him and noticed him looking at something behind her. She turned back with curiosity and saw her Jugnu running towards her. A genuine big smile formed on her face and she stood up from the swing only to spread her arms and welcome Jugnu. It's been more than 12 hours since she saw him and she was feeling void for him. Jugnu was also looking excited and jumped upon her. It was the first time for both of them to stay away from each other for so long.

Meera hugged Jugnu tightly and caressed his hair. Tears left her eyes and she sat on the ground feeling weakness in her leg. She rubbed his back and head while saying miss you to him. Jugnu couldn't express his emotions to her in words but his expressions were enough. He licked all over her face and tears flowed out of his eyes too. Meera almost forgot where she was right now and fully expressed her emotions which she had been hiding for so long. For a long time, they both kept hugging each other, smiling, crying, and expressing all sorts of emotions.

Suddenly, Meera realized that Pratap Yaduvanshi was there and her expression changed from happy to shocked and scared. She knew she was going to get an earful for her behavior because she knew that was not how she was supposed to behave at her in-law's house. She stood up in an instant and looked at Pratap Yaduvanshi and was ready to apologize but saw him smiling.

"No need to hide your emotions here Meera." He said with a smile and asked her to take a seat.

Meera still in shock sat on the swing with Jugnu in her lap while the latter one was licking her face.

" I told you about your grandfather's wish to get you and Aashrit married." Pratap Yaduvanshi started which caught Meera's attention and her expression changed on hearing about her grandfather. "We were best friends since our school days. Our friendship did last longer than we thought." He said " Meera beta........" He shut his eyes and took a deep breath, his face morphing into guilt "He told me about everything you were going through."

Meera's eyes went wide on hearing this and her hands stopped caressing Jugnu who also got calm down on seeing the changing expression on her face.

Pratap noticed the change in her expression and knew very well what she must be thinking "He went through so much to keep you protected but he knew he failed. He knew the pain you were bearing at your Uncle's house but never told him. I never saw that man so helpless. That man begged me on his knees to get you and Aashrit married." He said looking down while a tear left Meera's eye hearing this about her grandfather.

All she knew about her grandfather was that he was a man of self-respect and pride. Hearing him being on his knees for her, swelled her heart with pain.

"I ....... i." He choked on his saliva talking about him but controlled his emotions and continued " I never intended to tell you this but I don't have much time left." He said giving Meera one more shock of the day "I have last-stage cancer. I don't know for how long I am between you all. I don't know if I will see tomorrow's sun or not. I might leave this world tomorrow, a week after, or a month later. And this is one of the main reasons for arranging Aashrit's coronation in such a hurry." He said with a heavy voice and looked at her to see a pained expression on her face. "I know how my grandson is and I also know what type of a person you are. " He said with a small smile making Meera confused "I won't ask you to do anything out of your comfort zone but I have a request from you." He said and looked at Meera.

Meera had a curious face. She didn't know how to form her question into words which was understood by Pratap Singh easily.

"Never leave Aashrit." He said shocking Meera "I know it's hard to stay with him but I want you to try. I know only you both can heal each other." He continued "But it doesn't mean leaving your self-respect behind. Whenever you feel you are not being respected enough, you can leave him in an instant." He said and looked at her only to find her sitting there with an emotionless look.

"I know you need time." He said bringing out a little wooden box and putting it beside her."This is the gift your grandfather prepared for you. He strictly told me to gift you this once you are married." He said putting a key at the top of it. And in no time his nurse came and took him from there.

Meera kept sitting there playing with the key in her hand. After much struggle in her head, she opened the wooden box with a heavy heart.

She found a childhood picture of hers with her whole family and an album from her childhood which she thought was burned by her grandmother. There was a letter also nicely packed in an envelope. She took the envelope in her hand and opened it

Hello, my good luck baby,

I am praying to God that when you are reading it, you are healed. Your grandfather is sorry for not being able to protect you. I tried my best but I failed always. I could never fulfill your expectations. But I am giving your hand to a person who will protect you from everyone. This marriage might have given you a shock but trust my decision baby. He is the best man I could ever find for you.

I don't know what you might be going through right now but my only request to you right now is TRY! Please baby try, try to make this relationship work. It would be hard for you to start but it will all be worth it. He is the only man I could trust you with.

Trust my decision and try to give your best in this relationship.

Your dadu.

Meera folded the letter and a drop of tear fell from her eyes which was followed by more and more. Her chest felt heavy, and no sound left her mouth but a pain ran behind her throat, she tightly held the edges of the swing which were digging into her hand.

Suddenly, Jugnu started licking her tears trying to calm her down like always but she was crying and letting all those feelings out. She didn't even realize for how long she kept sitting there crying her heart out and once tired of crying, lost in her thoughts.

But she wasn't aware that she wasn't alone this time, someone was looking at her, her tears, her shivering hands, and her raging breath. While smoking his cigarettes, he saw her smiling while meeting with Jugnu and then crying when she got the box with hidden memories. And he hated, he hated the tears.

______________

So, the thing is that I'll be posting 3 questions on my insta today at 6 P.M .
The 1st five readers who will answer the question correctly will be given free access to 1 bonus chapter of JAAN which was paid till now.
So, be ready and make sure to check the story on insta today at 6 P.M .

SPREAD LOVE AND HAPPINESS ❤️.