Chapter Twenty-Five

"Jacob!" I shout as the car collides with my brother's body and he is pushed off to the side. I immediately rush forward, ignoring the cars and dashing closer to my twin. Just as I am about to reach him, Jack pulls me protectively into his arms.

"No, stop it!" I shout, thrashing against his chest. "I need to make sure he's okay. Gilinsky, let me go!"
"Jordan, stop. You need to stop." Gilinsky tries as I hear people begin to fuss around us. "Jords."
"Jack, I need to be with him." I shout at my best friend. "Let me go!"

"Baylin." Jack calls and I feel a new pair of hands grabbing my arms.
"Just let me go, please." I beg as Bay looks at me.
"Jordan, I can't do that." Baylin tries to speak soothingly. "You can't see this."

"See what?" I ask as I sob into his shoulder, the sound of sirens filling my ears. "No!" I shout as I push off of Baylin and fall beside my brother, calling his name.
"Jordan." Someone begins to call, but I ignore them.
"Jacob." I try, placing my hands on his chest. I feel his heart beating softly. "Oh, gosh."

"Jacob. Jacob, can you hear me?" I ask, glancing at his face. I immediately take note of the pool of blood beside his head. 
"Someone move her!" A voice shouts and I watch a group of Paramedics rush towards us.

"Jordan." I hear Taylor's voice as I continue to stare at my brother's lifeless body. "Jordan, you need to come with me." He tries again, pulling me into his embrace. 
"He's not dead, Taylor." I sob into his chest. "He can't be."
"Jords." He soothes, rubbing my back softly. 

"Taylor, what's wrong with him?" I ask through my sobs. "Why isn't he responding?"
"I don't know Princess." He notes with a shaky voice. "I don't know."

"Get him on a bed!" One of the Paramedics shouts and I watch as Mum crumbles into Bart.
"M-mum." I whisper softly. I try to speak but my throat feels like it's closing. The world around me is collapsing, and I'm stuck in the centre of it all. Not now, please. I fall to my knees, Taylor following close behind.

"Jordan?" He asks, but I can't really hear him. A buzzing fills my ears and my vision begins to darken.
"Ta-Taylor." I struggle, my breathing beginning to stagger.

I try to steady my breathing, but there's no use. Sharp breaths push against my throat and I hear people calling my name. I clasp my hands over my ears to try and stop the ringing - it's too much. The black dots get larger and I fall numbly into the darkness.

~~~

I groan, bright lights filling my vision as I struggle to open my eyes. 
"Jordan?" Taylor's voice fills my ears as I feel the surface beneath my hand, uncertain of where I am. 
"Hmm." I murmur.
"Oh thank goodness you're awake." He praises.

"Taylor." I begin as I rub my eyes and look up to find that I'm lying in a hospital bed. When did that happen? "Wh-why am I in the hospital?"
"You fainted after Jacob's accident." Taylor informs with concern.
"Ja-Jacob." I start, feeling my heart rate increase. "Is my brother okay?"

"Jordan, he's in a coma." My boyfriend informs. 
 "A coma." I mumble in disbelief. "Can I see him?"
"Once the nurse checks you out, she said you can go." Taylor notes.

We wait as my nurse is called and she completes all of her checks. She smiles sadly at me and I look away as I note the pity in her eyes. Once all of my checks are done and I've been cleared, Taylor guides me to my brother's hospital room where my family are sitting. 

"Sweetie." My mum calls to my side as she spots me, engulfing me in a hug. "I'm so happy you're awake."
"Jordan, I thought we were gonna lose you too." Logan rushes as he joins the embrace.
"Logan." Mum snaps as we pull apart. "We are not going to lose anybody."

"Jordan, how are you feeling?" Bart wonders as I take a seat beside Jacob's bed, Taylor taking place behind me.
"Okay." I respond with a small smile. 

"How is Jacob?" I ask as our attention returns to my unconscious twin. 
"Jordan, he's not doing well." My mum begins. 
"The doctors said that he has cracked a few rights, broken his leg, and hit his head quite badly." Bart informs. "They're not too sure how long his recovery will be."

"But, is he going to be okay?" I ask more directly.
"The doctors said that his injuries will heal fine, but there's still a chance that-" Mum trails off and the realisation hits. There's still a chance that he won't make it.

~~~

I sigh as my nurse enters the room and breaks the silence that is currently being made by myself and my unconscious brother.

"I know that I just fainted and all," I begin, talking softly as my nurse, Jill, checks my blood pressure. "But is this really necessary?"
"Absolutely Miss Whitesides." She smiles softly as she checks my blood pressure.
"Please, just call me Jordan." I beg.

"Well Jordan, your vitals are all good." Jill informs. "We'll have someone come to check up on you in a few hours." I nod as she goes to gather her things.
"Jill." I begin. "Is he going to be alright?" I ask softly.
"It's hard to say." She answers as she places down her clipboard and comes to clasp my hand.

"What do you mean?" I ask, wanting more, but I already know what she is going to say.
"Jordan, everyone is different." Jill smiles softly, trying to comfort me. "Some people are stronger than others. Some fight and some give up."

"So what are you trying to say?" I ask sadly.
"Your brother was hit pretty badly, and although his physical injuries will heal, his mental state is still uncertain. Sweetie, it is up to him, whether he chooses to fight or give up." Jill informs.
"But–" I start. "Is there anything we can do?"

"You just have to be here for him." The nurse offers. "It's the best thing any of us can do for your brother. Talk to him, sing him a song, play some music. Although he is unconscious, the conscious part of his mind might still be listening, looking for a reason to stay."

"Thank you." I speak suddenly, looking up at the sad look covering her face.
"Not a problem Jordan." Jill smiles as she gives my hand a final squeeze before slowly letting go and leaving the room.

"Jacob." I breathe out as I clasp my twin's hand. "You need to fight. Fight for mum, for Logan. Fight for Mahogany. Fight for me." I whisper softly. "For dad."