Chapter Twenty-Six

"Did you want anything from the cafeteria?" Mum asks and I note the deep bags under her eyes.
"No, I'm fine." I respond softly.
"Sweetie, you need to eat something." She tries again.

"I said I'm fine!" I snap and watch as her face falls.
"Oh," She breathes whilst turning away.
"Mum, wait." I call from my seat beside Jacob's bed and rub a hand over my face. "I'm sorry."

She nods in understanding before turning to leave.
"Wait, Becky." Taylor speaks up as he moves from behind my seat. "I'll come with you."

I watch as Taylor follows my mum out of the room. Mel took Logan home a few hours ago to get some rest, but I have barely slept for two weeks. Mum goes home every few days but it only lasts a few hours before she comes back.

"Jordan." Bart begins as he breaks the silence. "Jordan, you need to get some sleep."
"I'm fine, Bart." I whisper.
"No, you're not." He pushes. "Sweetie, you haven't slept in two weeks."

"I can't sleep." I mumble.
"Jordan, Jacob would hate to see you like this." Bart speaks and I turn to face him. 
"I can't sleep." I repeat. "Every time I close my eyes, I just picture my brother dying. I can't keep seeing that Bart."

"Oh Jordan." Bart begins. "I know that it's tough, but we're all worried about you too."
"I'm fine, I just want to be here for my brother." I retort, closing the conversation. 

I stare at the ground as the sound of footsteps fills my ears.

"Jordan." A voice calls, and my eyes immediately begin to water. 
"Hi Bay." I whisper, looking up at my best friend sadly.
"How is everyth-" Baylin begins but is interrupted as one of Jacob's machines starts to beep intensely. 

"We need a doctor!" Bart calls for help immediately. "Somebody get in here!"

"Jordan, we should leave. Let's get out of the way." Baylin attempts to take me out of the room. 
"No, we can't leave." I sob, watching as doctors and nurses flood the room.

"He's flatlining!" A nurse calls
"Put him on the drip!" Another clinician calls and I freeze in place.

"Bay, he's dying." I whimper.
"He's going to be fine." My best friend pulls me into his chest.

"Get the defib, now!" A doctor shouts.
"Please help him!" I cry out.
"Get her out of here!" The same doctor shouts as Bay directs me out of the room.

"Bay!" I shout as I start hitting his chest. "Let go of me."
"Jordan, I- come here." Bay speaks as he pulls me into an empty corridor.
"Baylin we need to be in there." I sob in rebellion.

"We can't. They can't help him if we're in there distracting them." Baylin informs.
"B-but." I pause. "What if he never wakes up?"
"Don't think like that." He scolds me. "Of course he will."

"How do you know?" I plead hopelessly.
"Because he wouldn't leave you Jordan." Baylin replies softly. "No one would."

My breath hitches as Baylin moves closer. 
"Ba-Bay, wait." I attempt to stop him but am cut off as he connects his lips with mine. I freeze immediately, not knowing what to do as Baylin kisses me. After regaining myself, I push Baylin off of me.

"Baylin, what was that?" I question angrily.
"Jordan I –" Bay starts, but I immediately cut him off.
"What have you done?!" I shout. "You can't just go around kissing people."

"You're not 'people'. It's you and me." Baylin offers and I scoff. 
"I can't believe you just did that." I mumble, turning away from my best friend. "What am I supposed to tell Taylor."
"I-I'll talk to him, tell him that it was all me." He tries to soften the situation. 

"No." I snap, walking away. "You've done enough."

~~~

"So, what happened?" Abigail questions as she hands both Mel and I a coffee from the hospital cafe.
I look up at the girls and then lower my gaze, trying to avoid the inevitable.
"It's okay, Jords. We're here for you." Mel begins softly. "Can you tell us what happened between you and Baylin?"

I sigh and do a quick once-over of our surroundings, making sure no one overhears us.
"Um, well – he." I try but pause for a moment. "Bay kissed me."
"What?" Mel exclaims as she spits the mouthful of coffee that she was drinking all over the table.
"First of all, that's disgusting." Abbi comments regarding Mel and then turns to me. "And secondly, what?"

"I know, he just kissed me." I exclaim.
"What, how? Why?" Abbi questions.
"I don't know. I didn't exactly stick around to let him explain himself." I mumble, letting my head fall into my hands.

"What am I going to do?" I groan. "I have to tell Taylor."
"But have you thought about it?" Mel asks. "He'd never find out."
"Melody!" Abbi exclaims. "She's telling him. It's not fair to keep that from him."
"Alright, it was just a suggestion." Mel puts her hands up in defence. 

"Of course, I am going to tell him." I mutter. "I'm just not looking forward to how he reacts."
"Oh, Jords." Abbi and Mel coo, embracing me in a much-needed hug. 

~~~

I sigh as I walk into my brother's empty hospital room. Glancing at his still figure, I notice that the doctors have connected more tubes and patches to Jacob and I frown in response.

"I hope you can hear me, because I have quite a bit to tell you." I puff awkwardly as I sit beside Jacob and grasp his hand. "Well, I haven't slept for two weeks. But it's okay, because you're getting enough down time for the both of us." I laugh to myself. "Sorry that was a terrible joke."

TAYLOR'S POV

I smile to myself as stand in the doorway and observe Jordan having a conversation with Jacob. He needs to wake up, I know how much she's missing him. Jacob needs to start fighting soon before it's too late.

JORDAN'S POV

"I really need you." I sigh, allowing the silence in the room to grow thicker. "I did something bad. Something I shouldn't have. Well actually, I didn't do anything, but, it's still bad-" I stop rambling as I imagine Jacob telling me to shut up and get on with it. 

"Jacob, Baylin kissed me." I speak in a shaky voice as I hear footsteps behind me. I turn around and my heart shatters at the realisation that Taylor has been standing there this whole time, based on the expression of sadness on his face.